DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old home that was completely remodeled "all wiring, plumbing" just like a brand new home. Today we were sitting watching tv and the power tripped in our bedroom and kitchen and the outlet for out washer. Everything else in the house works fine. The 2 GFI's in the kitchen tripped and won't reset, no kitchen lights or regular plug ins. The Arch breaker for the bedroom won't reset. It is in the 'ON" position but the button to test will not trip it, the one for the other bedroom does. Power in the foyer, hallways, livingroom, second bedroom and 2nd bathroom works. The washer doesn't but it has it's own circuit. Any idea's of what happened. The house was wired by a licensed master electrician and was inspected by a state inspector, so everything was good.:(
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Does the stove or dryer work?
The gfci's will not reset witout power.
Are the circuit that do not work on every other breaker?

You may have lost an incoming leg to the house.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kycruiser1

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,158 Posts
Squirrel decided to commit Hari-Kari, or someone or nature dropped something across the lines to knock out one phase. I would put in a whole house surge, make sure electronics have a surge for them to plug into. What you should have done, is gone to the breaker panel and shut the house off, until the power company got it working with both sides back in order.
 

·
Sparky
Joined
·
706 Posts
if you have a multimeter, check voltage @ your dryer or stove outlet assuming they're 240v. you should have 120v from the hot terminals to the neutral terminal, or the L shaped ground terminal, and 240V between the two hot terminals
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,158 Posts
if you have a multimeter, check voltage @ your dryer or stove outlet assuming they're 240v. you should have 120v from the hot terminals to the neutral terminal, or the L shaped ground terminal, and 240V between the two hot terminals
Why do that, when it is obvious that it is a outside issue. All you can do, is shut the main off, and call the POCO to report your house is out on one leg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the replies on my problem. I went through my breaker box and tightened all the neutral and grounds and quite a few were not real tight. I turned off the affected outlets at the breaker and waited until this morning. Everything came on and has worked well since. The only thing I can figure is a loose ground or neutral OR the wife overloaded the GFI with the new deep fryer. Anyways, I guess I'll wait and see if anything goes off with the deep fryer unplugged. Thanks everybody.
 

·
Learning by Doing
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
I appreciate the replies on my problem. I went through my breaker box and tightened all the neutral and grounds and quite a few were not real tight. I turned off the affected outlets at the breaker and waited until this morning. Everything came on and has worked well since. The only thing I can figure is a loose ground or neutral OR the wife overloaded the GFI with the new deep fryer. Anyways, I guess I'll wait and see if anything goes off with the deep fryer unplugged. Thanks everybody.
Intermittent problems are really hard to diagnose. But, electrical problems don't tend to fix themselves.:laughing:

If it was my house I would call the POCO and have them come check out their side of things. If that checked out, I would have an electrician do an inspection.

Be safe.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,356 Posts
A loose ground would not have caused your problem.

A GFI does not trip on overload. Even if it did trip it would not have affected multiple circuits in the house.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kycruiser1

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I am going to call the power company, it tripped again last night. My guess is you are right about being out on one leg because the same circuits are tripping which includes, hot water heater, washer/dryer, kitchen lights and GFI's and one bedroom ARC breaker. Everything else works fine. Never had this problem before, just weird. The house is only 2 years old, wired by a master electrician and inspected by a state inspector so I assume everything is wired right. Maybe the power company can find the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I had the power company out this morning and they found a loose connection on the transformer on the pole. The KU guy said he could see where it had been getting hot. He said if it went out again they would put a recorder on it to find out whats going on but he thinks the loose connection was the problem. Hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks again for the suggestions, they drove me in the right direction.:yes:
 

·
Learning by Doing
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
kycruiser1 said:
Thanks everyone for the input. I had the power company out this morning and they found a loose connection on the transformer on the pole. The KU guy said he could see where it had been getting hot. He said if it went out again they would put a recorder on it to find out whats going on but he thinks the loose connection was the problem. Hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks again for the suggestions, they drove me in the right direction.:yes:
Yay! So glad you updated us.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top