DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to save money on our air conditioning bill. One thing that we've done that's helped significantly is changing the (4) air filters on our return vents from MERV 10 to MERV 6.

Another thing we've been doing is closing off rooms that aren't in use, like our guest room. My question is does closing off room (shutting the vents) really save money? Also, what happens if that room has a return? Should we close that too?

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It saves no money closing vents & rooms off. The system is designed for X amount of air flow. If the HVAC company did not calculate in those other rooms, it would not have put a system designed for the size of your home into service. Do yourself a favor, and just keep those rooms open to allow the whole house to stay cool. Basically saying, you are actually causing more problems than it is worth, and no money is being saved.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If turn off your AC you'll save a lot money. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gregzoll

·
Willing to listen
221 Posts
1. Install a programmable thermostat if you don't have one and use the programming feature.
2. Use ceiling fan(s)
3. Pay for annual maintenance to make sure things like refrigerant charge are correct and you are getting the efficiency/cooling you are paying for
4. Seal duct leaks you have access to. If you have any flex duct check it's insulation and that it's hung properly w/o kinks etc
5. Weatherstripping, caulk, wall & attic insulation, window tinting & insulated blinds, etc...whatever you can do to reduce the load the AC has to deal with.
6. Have a PSC circulator motor upgraded to an ECM type. Pretty long payback on this though.

Just some random ideas to get you thinking.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't close vents. Set your thermostat to 78 all the time. Keep condenser and evap coils clean and system charged.

·
Administrator
41,830 Posts
Should use a MERV 8 filter, to keep your evap coil cleaner longer. Closing off vents is not a good idea.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
merv 8 is the minimum I use. make sure you keep the outdoor coil clean/flush it once a month with the garden hose. make sure ALL doors weatherstripping is new and intact and also for the attic hatch. buy those foam insulation strips that go behind your electrical box plugs and light switches on exterior walls, snoop around the HDepot doors and windows and weatherstripping dept for more idea. All the small air leaks add up to one big air leak and wasted NRG. good quality blinds/drapes for the windows and shades blocks a lot of sun/heat and pays big dividends.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Find out from your electric co when the peak hours of use are, during these hours you pay double and triple and some days 10 times normal rate. Where we live those hours are 2-7 p.m. So during those hours raise the temp on the ac, don't run the dryer, stove, oven or anything with a high wattage. If you are diligent you can save some money.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Turn up the AC, suck back a few beers in the wading pool and be Happy!:drink:

Attachments

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Find out from your electric co when the peak hours of use are, during these hours you pay double and triple and some days 10 times normal rate. Where we live those hours are 2-7 p.m. So during those hours raise the temp on the ac, don't run the dryer, stove, oven or anything with a high wattage. If you are diligent you can save some money.
Does not work with my utility, which is city owned. Right now, it is 12 cents/kwh. I have been tracking my use on the wifi thermostat with a 3rd party application. One day, it ran for 13 cycles, 1335 minutes, and cost $6.27, with the thermostat set at 72. Any higher, and it becomes uncomfortable in the house.

This http://thermostatmonitor.com/ is what I am using with the thermostat to track use, and costs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does not work with my utility, which is city owned. Right now, it is 12 cents/kwh. I have been tracking my use on the wifi thermostat with a 3rd party application. One day, it ran for 13 cycles, 1335 minutes, and cost $6.27, with the thermostat set at 72. Any higher, and it becomes uncomfortable in the house.

This http://thermostatmonitor.com/ is what I am using with the thermostat to track use, and costs.
That's pretty cool. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
ceiling fans in low settings and the unit in the auto/fan position during normal days...having a party:eek: use the ON/FAN setting with the fans off.with ceiling fans running you can cheat the temp setting up 75F or to where you feel it comfortable.if the the condenser is directly in the sun getting blasted private hedges shading it ..will cost less to run it

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have tried the vent closing before, and as mentioned, it doesn't work. The new thermostat I bought has helped. I keep it at 79 during the day.
I limit using the stove as much as possible and have sun filtering blinds & curtains in most of my windows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts