DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Maytag washer, model LAT9700AAL. Came with my house when I bought it 6yrs ago.

Yesterday, washer filled with water and stopped. No timer advancing, no motor running. Crickets.

When I manually advance the timer, the washer will drain, spin, and advance to rinse. At rinse, it fills and stops again. Advance the timer again, and the washer will drain/spin.

1) Can I rule out the lid switch? The drum stops spinning if I lift the lid.
2) Can I also rule out the timer? The washer acts like this on both cycle types and the timer seems to be getting power.
3) What am I looking at? Clutch/transmission? Burnt out motor in one direction?

<Gulp> Time to get a new washer? :vs_no_no_no: I'm asking because I'm a poor public servant, who already eats Ramen 3x/day.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Pretty sure that washer has two lid switches and a fuse also. I forget exactly how it is set up, but if you open the top section there are two brown switches. I'm guessing one of those has failed. Keep in mind I say I'm guessing so don't just change the part. It would be very easy to check with a meter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I looked at the online parts diagram again, and you're correct that there are 2 switches on the full assembly, along with the fuse.

I'll pull the top off tonight or tomorrow and test with my multimeter. Will report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reporting back--I replaced the lid switch assembly after finding one of the switches was bad. That fixed part of the problem.

Still no wash cycle, but once I advance the timer past wash, the washer completes all other portions of rinse/spin, etc.

Open to more suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! Actually, it's just the one wash cycle that doesn't work. The other wash cycle works. Hurray! Hopefully the ol' gal can limp along for another several months.

$45 for the part w/shipping. About 15-20 mins to replace, start to finish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 10 year old Maytag washer was skipping cycles intermittantly (it would start a cycle fine, fill, wash and then not spin or drain). Sometimes I could turn the dial back to spin and it would be fine and finish the cycle. Eventually it stopped spinning all together.

I replaced the timer ($100 off Amazon, but super easy 10 minute fix) and it fixed the problem.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.