DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a DIY forum, but there are just some things a pro should handle. So that I do not void my warrantee, I am asking if anyone knows, or is a HVAC pro. In NYC/L.I.

Tia.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Do all the physcal installation yourself, then get a pro to do the final connection, bring-up, and test.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vsheetz said:
Do all the physcal installation yourself, then get a pro to do the final connection, bring-up, and test.
Well I have read on this site the catch 22 of doing that. You save a lot of money but then have a hard time finding a hvac pro who will want to sign off on work they did not do.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well I have read on this site the catch 22 of doing that. You save a lot of money but then have a hard time finding a hvac pro who will want to sign off on work they did not do.
I am doing a mini-split on a room addition this summer. I have spoken with a couple pros who will do the final connect and bring-up without issue. You need to find a pro that does not feel threatened by partial DIY HVAC projects. Mini-splits are very common in other parts of the world - becoming moreso here in the US.

The physical installation is not rocket science - hang a bracket for the air handler on the wall, make a hole in the wall, run the lines and wires from the air handler to the outside unit, etc. Call the pro do do the rest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A thought came to me yesterday...Why not contact the company that installed and service by oil boiler? I am a good customer so they should give me a break on install right?

Sure enough they came by and told me to save money by doing the physical install myself and they will do the first start up and sign the warrantee card.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
A thought came to me yesterday...Why not contact the company that installed and service by oil boiler? I am a good customer so they should give me a break on install right?

Sure enough they came by and told me to save money by doing the physical install myself and they will do the first start up and sign the warrantee card.:thumbup:
glad to hear you found a workable solution. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the outdoor unit is installed but finding a good spot for the indoor unit presents some issues. The room has a cathedral ceiling, so I want to get the unit as high as possible. but whomever the OP got to construct this addition should be slapped silly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5939158518/

As you can see in this pic the wall i want to mount this unit is not exactly flat. as well as studs being unevenly placed (random is more like it). This location also means i will need a longer lineset than was provided with this Sanyo kit.

the other location is the space above the window but if my stud finder is correct..the studs are 3.5ft apart. WTF?

Now what do I do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So this project is finally completed!

Oh man how did my wife ever work in this office before this unit was installed? Now she complained she was freezing today :laughing:

Many thanks to everyone who encouraged me to do the physical install of the unit. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts