DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grit sandpaper is required for smooth drywall? The walls have been skim coated and need to be sanded. I want to make sure the sanding scratches do not show through when I paint but would like to not waste time with grit that is finer than needed.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "skim coat". Where I am that normally means imperial board coated with a veneer of actual plaster.....and I could hit that with 80 grit and not make a scratch. Not knowing what you have there, start with 220 and if that clogs too much, drop to 150...and if that is clogging and not scratching try 100. Ron

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
I'm not sure how all the pros do it, but I thought they use sanding screen and not paper. Of course it also come in different "grits".

Jaz

Reactions: joecaption

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Sand paper would load up in seconds.
You need sanding cloth, a sanding pad, and a sanding pole.
It comes in fine med. and course.
All are sold in the drywall area at Lowes and Home Depot.
When sanding move it in a cirular motion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi ka24,
Sandpaper works OK - an random orbital sander hooked up to a shop vac is your fastest solution. Drywall sanding screen also works well, again preferably with a vac attachment. For final sanding of joint compound, 120 or 150 does the trick. With 2 coats of primer/paint, and slight scratches left behind will be filled in with the paint solids.

Good luck,
The New Hope Handyman

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,540 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts