DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime it rains, my Salvias do this. I figured they’d just bounce back, but they haven’t completely. So they’re always in some state of floppiness. Is this normal?

·
Registered
23,365 Posts
Is there a leaking gutter above there? If water was hitting it especially hard, the stems could be damaged.

"Flopping:
There are a variety of reasons salvias flop, including too much water, from rain or irrigation, not enough sun, or too much fertilizer. If your salvia plant has become leggy and flopped over you can either provide support for the plant with stakes or deadhead the flowers and let new ones grow in. Many gardeners think flopping is a sign that it is time to prune or divide their salvia."

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,737 Posts
I saw your dog avatar - and then read the title of the post as; "Saliva flops over." Which could have been quite appropriate given the dog breed!\\\ LOL

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a leaking gutter above there? If water was hitting it especially hard, the stems could be damaged.

"Flopping:
There are a variety of reasons salvias flop, including too much water, from rain or irrigation, not enough sun, or too much fertilizer. If your salvia plant has become leggy and flopped over you can either provide support for the plant with stakes or deadhead the flowers and let new ones grow in. Many gardeners think flopping is a sign that it is time to prune or divide their salvia."

No leaky gutter. I have six of these throughout my patio. All are flopped. These were perfectly straight in the original containers at HD, which were actually smaller than my planters.

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
@Ronnie833 some plants just get too tall to stand and flop over, that's just what they do. In a way, it's a sign of success (plants are growing great!) though I respect that you might not see it that way.

Sometimes plants sprout at the base after falling over and look nice and bushy again, though not all plants do that.

My suggestion is to McGyver a wire cage thingy of the right size and plant the plants in it, which will hold them up better. It might be worth a try now, if they haven't flopped over for too long.

Or, plant something short that stays that way.

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
So, @Ronnie833 where are you? City/County and state are enough.

Knowing that, we can better advise as to replacements. If you're in a place like Ohio (where I'm originally from) this will likely have to wait till spring, since it's fall now.

I get a sense you want a nice bushy flowering plant that won't flop over, and there's many suggestions, which can be fine-tuned for location.

We're ready to help. And give the doggie a nice big scratch . . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts