DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tiled my kitchen floor yesterday. I back buttered every tile and layed it flat. I did not spread thinset on the backerboard like I now know I should. The tiles are not connected to each other with thinset like they should be. My question is; will the grout crack since the thinset is connected and can i squeeze thinset through the gaps to form a bond before grouting to salvage the job. (Will new thinset bond to the old?)
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks Fred

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Im sorry, let me be a little more specific. I did not create a mortar bed when tiling. I spread thinset ONLY on the back of the tile and layed it on the backerboard. Between tiles, you can see down to the backerboard. I am fearful that without a proper mortar bed the tiles will shift causing constant cracks in the grout. I hopeful I can fix this somehow
Thanks Fred

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Slow down a bit----How big are the tiles---what thinset did you use?

How wide are the grout lines?----What brand and type of grout are you planning to use?

Generally speaking--you should be O.K.---If----

you used a powdered modified thinset

You used the right sized trowel for the tile size

You pressed the tiles onto the backer so you have a good bond-------------

You will want to use a sanded grout---mixed from a powder--if the grout line is more than 1/8"

You will use more grout than the chart on the back of the bag---

Be sure to work the grout into the gap well--- and I think you will be successful.----Mike---

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slow down a bit----How big are the tiles---what thinset did you use?

How wide are the grout lines?----What brand and type of grout are you planning to use?

Generally speaking--you should be O.K.---If----

you used a powdered modified thinset

You used the right sized trowel for the tile size

You pressed the tiles onto the backer so you have a good bond-------------

You will want to use a sanded grout---mixed from a powder--if the grout line is more than 1/8"

You will use more grout than the chart on the back of the bag---

Be sure to work the grout into the gap well--- and I think you will be successful.----Mike---
Hey Mike. Thanks for take the time to respond. The tiles are 13x13 ceramic. We used bagged laticrete multipurpose pro thinset(and we used plenty, there is a good bond.) The grout lines are 1/4in. We are using laticrete sanded grout. A 1/4 notched trowel was used. Hope that sheds some light. Thanks Fred

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The trowel was a bit small for 13x13---easy enough to see if the coverage was adequate though.

Tap on the tiles with a screwdriver handle and listen to the sound---dull thump is good hollow ring is bad--

If the bond is good--go ahead and grout---the sanded grout can take that gap without issue.

Just make sure that you push that grout well into the void so you don't miss anything--

When grouting-- remember this---three steps to cleaning--

The first break---using sponges wrung almost dry---shape the grout lines and remove the majority of the excess grout--use a circular motion--you will only get a couple of tiles to a sponge-it will be ugly
at this point

Second break--This will clean most of the smear off the face of the tiles---Using sponges wrung almost dry--NO circular motion--straight pull parallel to the grout lines---set a sponge flat on the tile-

Press the sponge down gently and pull,while rolling the front of the sponge upward--
This is easiest to picture if you think of wiping up a glob of spilled jelly---you want to pick up the grout and expose a clean surface as you go.

You will only clean a couple of tiles to a sponge.
At this point the tile should look pretty good--lots of haze and a few streaks dragged from the grout lines.

Have a cup of coffee---now for the final wipe---Lots of wringing here--Same press--pull and roll motion---one sponge = one tile.

The final wipe should leave you with clean shiny tiles---If not,you're not done--do it again.

Tomorrow is to late---I don't want to see you back here with a ,"How do I get grout off the face of the tile?" post.

Have fun---Mike---

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
To add to Mike's grout summary, I like to strike the grout lines with a dowel before cleaning the surface the second time. By doing this, you compress the grout into the surface and create a uniform grout line through out.
For a 1/4" grout line, I'd use either a 1/2" or 5/8" dowel. If you pick one that's too thin, you remove the grout. The wider the dowel the shallower the grout depression.
Ron

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
As long as they were set firmly I don't believe there is a problem. At least I hope not.
I tiled my shower last fall. I'm no expert, but I basically did the same thing you did. I backbuttered 12" tiles using a 1/4 trowel and a modified thinset. Then used a sanded grout. All's well so far.

Mike is right. Don't rush the cleaning, but don't go to bed until the tiles are as clean as you're ever going to want them. That haze won't come off the next day. If you have one, a microfiber cleaning towel is awesome for the final wipe down.

One last thing, do your clean up outside. Don't dump the excess grout down the toilet or drain.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
To add to Mike's grout summary, I like to strike the grout lines with a dowel before cleaning the surface the second time. By doing this, you compress the grout into the surface and create a uniform grout line through out.
For a 1/4" grout line, I'd use either a 1/2" or 5/8" dowel. If you pick one that's too thin, you remove the grout. The wider the dowel the shallower the grout depression.
Ron
Are you talking about a regular wood dowel?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Mike is right. Don't rush the cleaning, but don't go to bed until the tiles are as clean as you're ever going to want them. That haze won't come off the next day. If you have one, a microfiber cleaning towel is awesome for the final wipe down.

Excellent suggestion on those micro fiber cloths---They are great.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
As long as they were set firmly I don't believe there is a problem. At least I hope not.
I tiled my shower last fall. I'm no expert, but I basically did the same thing you did. I backbuttered 12" tiles using a 1/4 trowel and a modified thinset. Then used a sanded grout. All's well so far.

One last thing, do your clean up outside. Don't dump the excess grout down the toilet or drain.
Doesn't that depend partly on the tile? We helped a friend of ours move into a newly remodeled house she bought. It had the gloss white 4x4 tiles in the bathroom in the tub/shower. All hazy, but it wiped off just fine.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
Doesn't that depend partly on the tile? We helped a friend of ours move into a newly remodeled house she bought. It had the gloss white 4x4 tiles in the bathroom in the tub/shower. All hazy, but it wiped off just fine.
True. I understand a high gloss glazed tile like subway tile will most likely clean up OK. But why risk it.
The original post said this was a floor so I assumed this wasn't a high gloss tile.

·
Registered
301 Posts
thats just not true, for almostr all tiles including natural stone....with the glaring exception being light colored natural stone and dark colored grout. which is still likely to clean up just fine.

grout "haze" is simply over-watered cement.....it will fail (ie wipe away). it really only comes down to pigment staining.

Now, messy thinset, thats a whole other story, get that sh*t off right away, lol!!1

Excellent suggestion on those micro fiber cloths---They are great.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
thats just not true, for almostr all tiles including natural stone....with the glaring exception being light colored natural stone and dark colored grout. which is still likely to clean up just fine.

grout "haze" is simply over-watered cement.....it will fail (ie wipe away). it really only comes down to pigment staining.

Now, messy thinset, thats a whole other story, get that sh*t off right away, lol!!1

Jimmy Cracked Corn---(and I don't care) :laughing:

You're right --Kind of.

If we tell many folks that it's O.K. to leave a bit of haze and dust it off tomorrow---

They will actually read,"It O.K. to leave a bunch of thick smear on the face of the tile.":laughing:

Sometimes we must offer the ideal solution and leave out the exceptions.
The exceptions are learned with experience---Best to let them learn those on their own.

---Mike---

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
True. I understand a high gloss glazed tile like subway tile will most likely clean up OK. But why risk it.
The original post said this was a floor so I assumed this wasn't a high gloss tile.
It's the grout that makes the difference more then the tile sheen. Sanded grout left too long on the surface is a bear to get off. You can't just keep grouting with sanded grout. You need to take the time frame on the tile as a serious consideration.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to thank you guys for all the imput. I was really worried but your advice and experince make me feel much better about this project. I now know better for the future. Thanks again for all your responses. I will let you know how it turns out after the grout.

Fred

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Thanks Fred --Please keep us updated---and have fun---Mike----

1 - 20 of 20 Posts