DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had freezing rain the other day. i went to get the paper, and nearly fell on my a--. i didn't see the ice on my front steps.

what will happen if i put some salt on those steps, every now & then ?

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
I don't know what effects salt would have, never tried it.

I just use sand, I keep a small covered bucket outside door, when needed it's handy.

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
Use Calcium Magnesium Acetate which guards against concrete and corrosion instead of salt.
Any hardware or box store should have it.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Since it's pressure treated wood I don't think the salt will have any effect.

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
But it will effect any fastners it some in contact with and will be tracked into the home.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The worst thing about any "de-icer" is it will allow water penetration. If your wood is really well sealed this is not much of an issue. Otherwise you may see some freeze -thaw damage to your finish or wood.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Been salting mine for about 10 years now. No damage that I can see from it. Stainless steel fasteners used and still shiny

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I love stainless steel. After ten years they are still sparkling at my Aunt's place. And she lives in the woods where they are wet more than they are dry!

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx folks. i have some of that non salt deicer. i will use that up first. the steps and porch will be replaced in a few years. but id does have cheap fasteners in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts