DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
several years ago i asked you guys about this, i forgot the replies.

i know adding salt makes it harden faster. what kind of salt and how to add it ?
just want it to harden a little faster without much hassle.

thanx

·
Registered
14,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just purchase High Early Cement (type lll )
You could also add some Rapid Hydraulic cement to the Portland cement mixture. Salt will degrade the product.
because it cost twice as much. i'm not making big bucks on this project, and i do have plenty of time, so... but, if a little salt will help me, i have some driveway salt i don't use.

its just fence posts.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
because it cost twice as much. i'm not making big bucks on this project, and i do have plenty of time, so... but, if a little salt will help me, i have some driveway salt i don't use.

its just fence posts.
" You are not making big bucks "
When it fails you may be making a lot less.
What king of post are you using? Steel does not get along with SALTS very well.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I'm also a little confused by you wanting the concrete to harden faster, but then saying you "have plenty of time". Normal concrete sets up in a few hours and has substantial strength after a day. Certainly, it's strong enough for your typical post hole by Day 2 after pouring.

·
Registered
14,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. i guess i got misleading info "here" about 5 years ago, and/or, i misunderstood it.
anyway, thanx, i only have 2 more postss to set anyway.

btw. is joecaption still around ?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Calcium chloride is a concrete accelerator and it happens to also be a salt. Not sodium chloride (table salt), another kind of salt. 1 or 2 percent is used in weather that is a few degrees too cold to cast concrete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Calcium chloride is a concrete accelerator and it happens to also be a salt. Not sodium chloride (table salt), another kind of salt. 1 or 2 percent is used in weather that is a few degrees too cold to cast concrete.
Have you ever experienced 1% calcium chloride have this impact on new concrete? Contractor is of no help and I’m not sure how to remedy. I have tried hot water and scrubbing and tried equal parts vinegar and water and very little change. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,141 Posts
Have you ever experienced 1% calcium chloride have this impact on new concrete? Contractor is of no help and I’m not sure how to remedy. I have tried hot water and scrubbing and tried equal parts vinegar and water and very little change. Thoughts?
That was not caused by Calcium Chloride.

Looks more like they had a leaky hydraulic system, and oils got in the mix.

Might try some "OIL DRY" , or other absorbent, kitty litter, worked into the surface has taken many oil stains out.

ED

·
Registered
14 Posts
That was not caused by Calcium Chloride.

Looks more like they had a leaky hydraulic system, and oils got in the mix.

Might try some "OIL DRY" , or other absorbent, kitty litter, worked into the surface has taken many oil stains out.

ED
Thank you. The reason I believe it may have been calcium chloride is because I asked the contractor if calcium was added to the mix and he said no but when I called the concrete mix company they said yes 1% calcium chloride and fiber mesh so I assume he wasn’t honest bc he knows the stains are permanent. It’s 1600 sq ft of concrete spotted and discolored all over. It’s terrible. I’ve tried hot water and scrubbing and equal parts vinegar and water and neither provided changes.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,141 Posts
Thank you. The reason I believe it may have been calcium chloride is because I asked the contractor if calcium was added to the mix and he said no but when I called the concrete mix company they said yes 1% calcium chloride and fiber mesh so I assume he wasn’t honest bc he knows the stains are permanent. It’s 1600 sq ft of concrete spotted and discolored all over. It’s terrible. I’ve tried hot water and scrubbing and equal parts vinegar and water and neither provided changes.
A good laundry detergent ( Tide) might remove the oils.

Degreaser, Solvent, etc.

Let them sit, wait a few minutes, then water and a softer nylon scrub brush.

When you discover what cleans it off, try to force the contractor to foot the cost of cleaning, GOOD LUCK.

ED

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
That is not calcium chloride damage. When I did construction inspections for the county calcium chloride was a regularly used item for mild winter concrete work and I never saw that happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is not calcium chloride damage. When I did construction inspections for the county calcium chloride was a regularly used item for mild winter concrete work and I never saw that happen.
Here are some additional pictures. What could it be and who could I call to help me make an evaluation in person because the pool company that contracts out the concrete company says the spots should lighten with warmer weather and I just don’t see that will happen since we are 40 days after cure. I have tried discussing with the concrete mix company who also said this was calcium chloride. I asked if they would research potential mixing issues etc and they were not helpful and were not interested in helping just like the contractor.

Attachments

·
Big Dog
3,762 Posts
Sakrete Fast Set Concrete.

Rapid setting in approximately 30 minutes
For setting posts or concrete slabs over 2 in. thick
Foot traffic in 6 hours – vehicle traffic in 48 hours

$5.48 for a 50lb bag at Home Depot.

I used this when setting my 6" x 6" deck posts 2.5' in the ground. One hour later I was cutting the 3"x10" notches in those posts for the doubled up 2x10 beams.

Reactions: de-nagorg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.