DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My wife and I bought a foreclosure and found a few extra problems. I have multiple sagging issues. First, the load bearing walls supporting the second floor were placed directly on the subfloor in between the floor joists, which has caused some sagging of the sub-floor between joists. For this I was planning on installing joists with hangers perpendicular ever 16" to 20".

The second problem is that the joists in these areas are sagging. the are 2x10x15- 16"OC. I would say about 1-1/2"sag spanning 3-4 joists. I have about 3ft of height crawl space and the soil is very sandy. I've looked at some options and I am thinking 2- 2x10x6 board spanning the sag and supported by screw posts. I'll need footers and wasn't sure on depth/size. cement with rebar or compacted stone with cement deck post base.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I'm thinking you bring in someone who can access the situation correctly. The house has been changed structurally from it's design and you're experiencing failure issues.
Maybe as a start, post photos of the issues, so we can see them.
The "solutions" you've come up with are probably not going to do the job of correcting the problem. At this point I don't know if you know the extent of the problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
why don't you double up the floor joist, or even triple them up and than nail, or bolt them together flat. Which can be done w/bottle jack and some 12" pieces of 2x10 which you'll have anyways.

I would look too see what is above the "sagging" 2x10's like maybe a load bearing wall which should have been doubled or tripled in the 1st place

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
My house also. Second floor -floor joists resting on first floor bearing wall that is resting on parallel floor joists. Significant sag and probably started as soon as the second floor went up. Later attempted sisters sagged as well.
I'm not even going to try straighten this floor. I'm just shoring up the wall from the basement, then use the leveler with new engineered floor. In my case, that is fine since the old floor has nails all over it.
Standard footing is 24lx24wx12d. Yours may not have to be that. I'd get an engineer to look at it. Cost will be worth your time.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm thinking you bring in someone who can access the situation correctly. The house has been changed structurally from it's design and you're experiencing failure issues.
Maybe as a start, post photos of the issues, so we can see them.
The "solutions" you've come up with are probably not going to do the job of correcting the problem. At this point I don't know if you know the extent of the problem.
I agree with Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts