DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

safe to create notch in studs

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
HI

I am very new to this, so apologies if this has been asked before or I'm pointing out the obvious. I need to install a new dishwasher 25 inches deep into an old kitchen where the counter is only 21.5 inches deep.

I know some of it is going to stick out which is fine, but when I looked at what was stopping it from going further I noticed 2 x 4 studs. 2 of them basically right next to each other, don't know if that has any bearing, i.e. does that mean they are load bearing?

So I am planning on using a jigsaw to make 2 cuts in each stud, but how deep can I go? The studs are 4 inches deep, what's the furthest I can go safely without them bending or something bad happening. Also is there anything I can do mitigate the extra strain on them?

I can see the pieces of wood which must be the side of the house towards the back, I assume these must be nailed into the stud. What will happen to those if I create notches then chisel/knock out a portion of the stud.

Sorry this is badly explained. I hope you understand what I need to do, any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry,but that is a bad plan. The outside wall is a bearing wall --weakening the studs like that may lead to the exterior wall bulging out.

A header. like a door opening,is required.--I know your weather is mild there--however--an uninsulated area with plumbing in it is just a bad idea.

What about fire stop?

Ever think it might be time for a new counter top?---Mike---

#3 ·
Mike called it. You won't like the long-term results of messing with those studs. If your wife has been making do with a 21" countertop, it's high time to begin treating her right. Put in a new one.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses, I will take some pics tonight after work so you can have a better idea what I am talking about. Some background the house is 1940s ready to be demolished that is our plan eventually (5 years away). So a lot of the house is really a bunch of hacks and it seems previous owners have just let things be the ways they are.

I thought it was strange too that there was no insulation. As we plan to demolish the house we are just trying to make it livable for a few years, so any permanent damage done isn't a disaster as long as the walls don't cave in! This is also the reason for no new kitchen. I've just had a plumber come in and replace a lot of old copper leaking pipes with PEX pipe as well, he just shook his head when he saw the wall.

So it seems as though I am stuck with a dishwasher sticking out 4 inches, unfortunately I got a cheap floor model and can't return it either!

#7 ·
I already have the counter tops they are 25 inches deep so I will have to cut them down to 21 inches to fit with the existing base units.

Another discussion I had about my problem came up with a novel solution. That was to attach a new 2 x 4 each side of the studs that I plan to notch using screws above and below the cutting points, so to provide extra stability for where I plan to make notches. Of course I would have to swivel the new 2 x 4 so that the wider side is facing forwards if you were facing them from the dishwasher entry point.

What do people think of this idea.. will it help mitigate any load concerns.. like I said this solution doesn't have to last a lifetime the bulldozer is going to flatten the place in a few years it just has to last that long.

#8 ·
Cut the studs right off, install a header (lintel) using the removed portion of the studs as jack studs to support the header.
It will be simpler than trying to notch them and fit the machine into the notch's.
Don't worry about the outside sheathing. It won't fall off!
You're lucky that your winters are mild. Here, everything would freeze ( including me) without insulation.

#12 ·
Cut the studs right off, install a header (lintel) using the removed portion of the studs as jack studs to support the header.
It will be simpler than trying to notch them and fit the machine into the notch's.
Don't worry about the outside sheathing. It won't fall off!
You're lucky that your winters are mild. Here, everything would freeze ( including me) without insulation.
I remember trying to do work in Western NY in sub freezing temperatures. Not fun, not fun at all.

#9 ·
New Plan

So the lintel idea seems great! Where can I get them from home depot? What should I ask for, are their any pics on google that can guide me, I am a complete novice but happy to try anything! I've attached pics too.

thanks

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
that doubled up stud is to suport the big hole in the wall caused by your window. don't just cut it, or you will have a very long span unsuported.

I supose you could build a frame around the back of the washing machine with a pair of horizontal 2x6s or 2x4s above it and put the verticals to either side.

I really don't think having you cabinets set back a few inches is all that bad.

and if it makes you feal any better, I went throught the same thing during a remodel, and I looked high and low for a shallow dish washers. They were all the same depth.

ps. if you have it open to the outer sheeting like that, you might end up with a frozen dishwasher one cold night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.