DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mini-split unit installed in a garage apt. rental about 9 months ago, was tested and working fine. I have not rented apt so not turned on unit since then. Can it hurt anything to let it sit for long, or should I run it every so often?? Kind of asking late I guess...

· Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I don't know if it would hurt anything or not to let it sit for so long. Probably not. Couple months is one thing, 9 months or longer is another. you could call the manufacture and ask them directly., see what they say.

Imo, I would go there at least every couple months or so and run it to make sure everything is still working fine. Flush the toilets and run the water in the sinks as well. Just my opinion.

· Registered
142 Posts
It might now hurt, but I say run it once in a while... It only makes sense since there are moving parts, grease and oils involved. You don't want a car sitting for months at a time because the mechanicals, so why would you want the compressor just sitting? Plus, if you run it periodically, you'll know if there are any issues... I don't think you want a renter going in and the 1st thing they call about is the AC not working.

· Registered
15,740 Posts
It shouldn't cause a real issue. Since it doesn't have a belt, that's not a problem. Running it quarterly would be the max idle time I'd let one of mine sit. (however, we have RTUs that sit a lot longer since sometimes the new tenants simply don't need them, and ductwork is no longer connected)

However, if you live in a cooler climate; make sure that you leave the primary source of heat on, (at least above 60*F) to prevent pipes from freezing.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.