DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am planning on installing an Hydrogen Peroxide injection system to eliminate ferrous iron in our well water. My research has shown that for each PPM of iron it takes .4-1 ppm of H2O2 injected to convert the ferrous iron into a ferric state. In my case with 4ppm of iron that would mean 1.6-4ppm needs to be injected. One question I have is how do the other elements in the well water effect the amount of peroxide needed to be injected in order to be sure there is enough in the water to oxidize the iron? What residual of peroxide should there be in the water before it enters the Centaur carbon filter? Thank you for your help! John

Here is what the most recent water test shows is in the water:

Iron:4ppm
pH:7.3
TDS:300ppm
Hardness:153.9ppm
Manganese:ND(none detected)
Copper:ND
Nitrates:ND
Sulfides:ND
Tannins:ND
Coliform:ND
There has never been any indication of Iron Bacteria in any of the toilets.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I do not know anything about the specific system you are using, but I do understand the chemistry. Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes iron in a +2 state to +3, which you correctly note in your post. It will also oxidize any other metal in the water from a lower oxidation state to a higher state. However, your post shows that there are no other oxidizable metals in the water. The calcium (hardness) is already in a +2 state, and cannot be oxidized any further, so the calcium should have no effect on the amount of peroxide you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water is cold, at a guess it is in the mid to lower 50's at the warmest. I planned on using an inline static mixer after the injection point and before the 120 gallon retention tank, but have read that with H2O2 it might not be necessary due to it's "fast reaction rate"(purewateroccasional.net/wtmhydrogenperoxide.html). It would be nice if a retention tank wasn't needed or a smaller one could be used because room is at a premium where the water treatment equipment is located. 95% of the time the water use would amount to 5GPM or less, the highest usage might hit 9-10GPM.

Thanks for your help! John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts