DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got one? I decided this weekend that I'm done with gas mowers. (cjurrent Honda has carb problems). My lawn is quite small---maybe 1500 square feet.

I've got a Dewalt cordless string trimmer that I love. Just leave it hang in the garage all winter, throw a battery in it (I've got a bunch of DW carpentry tools) and away you go.

Dewalt makes a lawn mower, but it's hard to get, and they don't sell it bare tool that I can see. Kind of pricey.

Anyone have one of the Ryobis? I've never been a fan of their stuff---but at least Home Depot has pretty good return service. KInd of wondering about the charger too. Is it a smart charger...I know reading reviews on Amazon, some of the cheaper mowers have cheap chargers that you have watch or you'll cook the battery. The box will say "comes with battery and charger" but no details beyond that.

Anyway, I'd welcome any of your personal experience.

· Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
My son has a Kobalt and loves it. He lives on a postage stamp of a lot and it suits him fine. He has had it for several years.

I also have the Dewalt weed eater, chain saw, blower and hedge trimmer.
Great tools!

· Registered
8,139 Posts
If I had a tiny lawn and a long mowing season, I would try it. A big lawn, no. A short mowing season, it might be dead next year after a long winter’s nap.

· Registered
4,484 Posts
I don't know about the Ryobis but have experience with EGo stuff, specifically a snow blower which is another high power drain tool. Power is amazing. Run time is better than you might think. And if you have extra batteries you can pop spent ones on the charger and pretty much work continuously. I'd get an Ego mower in a heartbeat if I needed one and I assume some of the other brands would work pretty much the same.

· Very Stable Genius
4,665 Posts
I have 2 battery lawn mowers. One Yardworks the other Greenworks. Think
they're really the same company. Like both but here's a couple thoughts:
- The Greenworks has wider cut but is newer and came with more internal
gizmos. It rev's if it detects heavy grass, which is fine, but shuts down
completely when it decides the load is too great. The Yardworks keeps right
on cutting.
Yardworks came w 2 40V 4Ah batteries and a fast charger (~25 mins). Nice!
Greenworks came w 1 40V 5Ah battery and slow charger (>1h). Not nice. The
slow charger also heats the battery more as the charger doesn't have a built
in fan.
Since the op's lawn is small, maybe the differences don't matter much......

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all. Sure wish they'd give more information on the batteries and chargers. I'll have to look at the Egos. They might be a little better quality than the Ryobis. Better to pay once and get a good one.

· Registered
4,484 Posts
EGos are "56 volt" batteries... which really means they are 52V. They fudge that like DeWalt does with their 20V "max" batteries that are the same number of cells as everyone else's 18V batteries. They just advertise the fully charged voltage instead of the standard nominal voltage rating. It is a little deceptive but not a big deal.

The snow blower takes 1 or 2 5Ah batteries but when both are loaded they run in parallel for longer run time. Not sure if the mowers are set up the same way or just take a single. The batteries are $$ but are high quality. Best to get the kit that comes with 2 of them from the get go. Cheaper that way. I also have the leaf blower that came with one smaller battery so in total I have 3. They are all still working fine after several years... but then we had literally zero snow this year. Not that I am complaining! Also comes with a fast charger.

Other brands that make mowers may be similar but I have no direct experience with them.

Thanks for the replies all. Sure wish they'd give more information on the batteries and chargers. I'll have to look at the Egos. They might be a little better quality than the Ryobis. Better to pay once and get a good one.

· World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
I just got a Kobalt 40v, and it works pretty good. My yard is also small so a gas mower would’ve been overkill. Seems to be a quality piece, although it would’ve been nice to have two batteries included it only takes one to do my whole yard with plenty of life left over.

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I was very close to getting the Ryobi, but I watched the youtube linked below and came away with the Ego. I know from years of owning cordless tools that it's all about the battery and the charger, and I think Ego's is pretty superior. And I watched the video to the point where the reviewer pointed out that Ego had actual bearings in the wheels and Ryobi just had plastic wheels with no bearings and my mind was made up. The Ego was 70 bucks more but more than worth it. I started out thinking I didn't want to spend over 300 bucks, but that's the way it goes.

Just mowed my lawn and I think I'm in love!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.