DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a older ryobi drill charger that when i plug it in it flashes the red and green light indicating "defective" status. it does this both when there is a battery in the charger and when there is not one in the charger.

i have tried attaching the battery while the charger is unplugged and still the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue. sorry if im in the wrong forum topic.

just looking for someone who may have had this problem anf found a way to fix it or a link so something i can read up on fixing it. i do have some experience in electronic components so i can take it apart and solder if need be. i cant return it as its about a year old and dont really have the means to go buy a new one right now but need to use the drill.

thanks in advance
Matt

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Only time I've seen one do that is with a bad battery.
Use a multi meter and see how many volts it's putting out where the battery contacts are.
It needs to be putting out more then the voltage of the battery.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Most microprocessor controled charges,
need to sense a certain level of voltage from the battery,
To indicate presence of a battery and level of charge.
If for some reason (such as too low a charge or faulty battery)
this voltage is too low, then a faulty indication is given
and charging will not comense !

If battery is not faulty, you need to get some charge in to it
to bring it up to minimum sensing level.

Use a power supply, such as a wall wart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i understand what you guys are saying but the charger is giving the "defective" lights when there is no battery in it.

both batteries i have tried will power the drill when connected so i know its not due to low charge on the battery.

i think i have bout chalked it up to a bad transitor, resistor, capacitor...component of the charger itself and it needs to just be replaced.

thanks guys for the responses.
MTB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.