DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shop is very damp during the spring and this year has been very wet.
My exposed metal on the table saw and joiner are getting rusty.
How to you protect the exposed metal and not raise heck with the
wood when it comes to painting and staining.

Thanks DJ

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Sand off the rust with about 220 paper, wipe with mineral spirits or similar. Then clean with alcohol to remove all oils, dust. Wax with a quality paste wax. Works for me.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Dehumidifier will help with the excessive moisture.
Ron

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
It is so simple, I'm almost positive you won't even try it.

All you have to do is wipe an unrusted table clean of sawdust, then merely cover it with a large terry cloth beach towel. A GOOD, THICK one, not a cheap rag.

I live in the most humid part of the US and we are surrounded by saltwater on three sides. It is often like a sauna here. I have no rust on any of my tables... and none on my BBQ which stays outside with towels and a waterproof tarp over it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My shop is very damp during the spring and this year has been very wet.
My exposed metal on the table saw and joiner are getting rusty.
How to you protect the exposed metal and not raise heck with the
wood when it comes to painting and staining.

Thanks DJ
Get these and your rust problum will be solved. Use Rust Off first. This will remove all the rust and make the table look like new. Now use this with venalation in mind. Smell's. Now after the Rust Off use the T-9 for prevention. This will keep rust from comming back and also the wood will glide like never before. The T-9 will not come off and get into the wood . I been using this combo for a few yrs. no rust. I live in sol florida You can get this in sear's or low's has it . The best. You dont have to do all that sanding ect. Read the direction's will help good luck i use this on anything that has a metal bed on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts