DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello (from first time poster)

The backstory: My house, built in 1937, originally had an exposed concrete block fascia -- a short-lived design. Just as with brick, there are angle steel lintels over every opening. The house was stuccoed directly over the painted block, making bonding failures inevitable. At some point, someone patching the stucco ran the stucco down over the lintel edges. Much rusting ensued, magnifying any 'natural' rusting caused by condensate from the inner surface of the block. I am now working my way around the house, re-exposing the lintel edge and solving the front-sourced water entry.

Over the garage, the rusting forced the lintel to bend downward, though there is no apparent damage (yet) to blocks above. As I clean out the rust I can get to, a gap between lintel and block is revealed (see linked images)

IMAGES CAN"T GO IN MY FIRST POST, SO I"LL ADD THEM AS A BROKEN STRING -- BREAKS IN HTTPS AND WWW:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkn5rkmkrmpckor/IMG_5836.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26bxta6jhulat4y/IMG_5838.jpg?dl=0

SORRY! IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADD PROPERLY, I'LL EDIT.

I already know how I will deflect exterior water and trim it out. What I'm seeking are thoughts on how to deal with the gap (the lintel will not be replaced at this time). NOTE that the upper surface of the lintel will never be pristine -- heck, block may be resting on some rust patches. Ideas so far...

1) Ignore it.
2) Drive in steel shims in several locations.
3) Use a masonry product (mortar? grout? hydraulic cement?) to fill the gap, leaving weep channels.
4) Use epoxy to 'bind' the block to the lintel to make a rigid unit, also with weep channels.

Any thoughts? I'm also wondering whether I should douse the lintel with something like Rustoleum Rust Reformer before any gap treatment.

Thanks!

Otto

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, in case this is stumbled upon by anyone, I went ahead and cleaned the gap between saggy lintel and blocks above, primed the lintel, then mortared the gap (since there originally was a bed of mortar on the lintel, visible in the images). I added several weep tubes in case water got in the back. Most of the damage clearly seemed to involve water getting in the front, seeping in behind stucco. I am trimming it out so no water will get into the front anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts