DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day - I'm replacing my toilet in my basement bathroom. When I removed it, the flange is rusted and unusable. Another thing is the flooring is damaged around it and cannot be used to anchor the the toilet (see depth of screw driver in hole). I removed the rusted areas of the flange, these are the areas where the toilet will be bolted to. I want to remove the entire piece but I'm concerned about damaging the actual waste pipe which is PVC. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Owner
998 Posts
Unfortunately you're gonna need to jackhammer and replace the entire thing. You'll need to expose the pipe underneath (which appears to be a 90 degree elbow). That means you'll need to expose it back far enough to replace the 90, and install a new closet flange.

EDIT - If there's enough good cement under the old flange you might be able to install a quick flange with masonry screws.

·
Owner
998 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Hello; when installing a closet-flange-quick-ring over a corroded, broken flange, is there a need for caulking of any kind?

Or does the wax seal take care of any gaps.

Thank you,

- Leo
Yes, you should caulk it. Revisit the link. It references a type of caulk that will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts