DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm looking for some opinions on what to do with a rusted basement column. It is the middle column in the house and all of the other columns are ok. There was a faucet where a washing machine used to be located. Apparently it leaked onto the beam for a long time. The flanges on the beam are very rusty but seem to be structurally ok. The web, which took most of the water damage, is partially rusted out. I talked to a building inspector and some other people I know, and most of them thought it could be repaired. But I was looking for some other opinions. Do you think it can be repaired or do you have any recommendations? Or should I just call a professional and have it replaced.

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Not used to seeing a vertical 'I' beam in a house. I assume it holds up a main beam of the house??? It takes a lot to rust out the 1/4" steel in an I beam, and the pic is not that specific. If it supports the middle of the house beam. consider replacing it with a solid(concrete filled) lolly column. But get a first hand opinion, we are only looking at a picture.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Go to you favorite home improvement store such as Lowe's or Home Depot and have them order you an adjustable column. They don't stock them. Don't get those cheap temporary columns that bolt together as they are only for temporary installations. I think the 10' columns I used were rated for 14,000 lbs.

The columns typically have 3"-4" of adjustability.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could buy two, rig one up right next to the old ibeam, take the weight off, remove the ibeam, and replace it with the 2nd column. That's what I did with mine.

then return the other column :thumbup:

KHOUSE your HD didn't stock them? Mine had about 100 of 'em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts