DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Journeyman Wireman
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter had a metal teapot in the bath with her. It left a rust ring on my cast iron tub. How can I remove it without damaging the finish?

Tub is 12 years old. Rust has been there for a while. Have not tried any abrasives to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Try wetting the surface, applying Zud and rubbing with a nylon scrub pad.
Ron

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
CLR, Calcium/Lime/Rust remover, any home, hardware store. Do not scrub that surface with anything abrasive, you will dull the finish.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My daughter had a metal teapot in the bath with her. It left a rust ring on my cast iron tub. How can I remove it without damaging the finish?

Tub is 12 years old. Rust has been there for a while. Have not tried any abrasives to remove it.
Navel jelley will do it. Or go to a boat place and ask them for a stain remover. I can't remember the name it is blue in color that will work also.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You can also use a clean soft rag which was dipped into turpentine and slightly rinsed out. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when doing this and make sure the area is well ventilated. Then sprinkle ordinary salt onto the the rag that is wet with turpentine like the corner then scrub the brown rust stain until the stain has disappeared. Reapply turpentine and salt if necessary. When the stain is gone, rinse the cast iron bathtub with plain water and dry tub with a dry rag and you’re done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts