DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

My city uses NEC 2008. I am in the process of finishing the basement in a relatively new construction home. The exterior walls are 2x2 with insulation between the studs and the cement wall.

Before installing all of the wiring/receptacles/switches - does code allow wiring to be run behind the studs (between studs and insulation) since they are 2x2 or do we still have to drill through them and run the wires through like in a 2x4 wall?

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi -

My city uses NEC 2008. I am in the process of finishing the basement in a relatively new construction home. The exterior walls are 2x2 with insulation between the studs and the cement wall.

Before installing all of the wiring/receptacles/switches - does code allow wiring to be run behind the studs (between studs and insulation) since they are 2x2 or do we still have to drill through them and run the wires through like in a 2x4 wall?

Thanks
Never seen 2x2 studs used before. You have to have a minimum distance for mechanical protection (not sure on the distance for NEC). If you ran the wires behind the studs you would still have to find some way of supporting the cable.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
The cables would also need to be 1 1/4" from the sides of the 2x's.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Really the 2x2's would be more appropriately referred to as furring strips rather than studs I believe, but you might consider using conduit and then you have your mechanical protection and don't have to worry about making a half inch hole in the last quarter inch of your board.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Is there a gap between the studs and the block wall? If there is you can run the cable behind the studs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is room behind the 2x2 strips (it is basically a nailing surface) and in front of the insulation so we will be running the wiring behind the studs, securing every 48" and that will allow 1.75" plus the 0.75" for the drywall - should be fine.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts