DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have been reading a lot of different forums trying to find an answer to my question but it seems there is a lot of different interpretation to code. Since all the questions I have seen vary slightly from what I need to ask I figure I will register and post. Here is what I PLAN to do, please provide feedback on what part may be wrong and why. Thanks!

• My run from the panel is about 110'
  • The first 40' is in my basement, the next 60' will be underground and the final 10' will be in the actual garage.
  • When I leave the basement and enter the ground, I would like to run 1" EMT. It will be a minimum of 12" deep.
  • I would like to run two 12-2 UF wires, each on an individual gfci 20 amp breaker at the panel. One wire to be used for lighting and other light duty stuff, the 2nd for receptacles.
  • I understand what is needed to enter into the ground and exit the ground to go into the garage so I'm good there, that seems to be pretty consistently answered.

Can I please get input? Any flaws that can be proven? I already seen many answers..."can run UH in conduit, no you can't","can run multiple wires, no you can't", "can use EMT, no you can't" etc.

FYI I already have a 250' roll of 12-2 UF wire and would like to use it.
Thanks ahead of time! Also I am in PA if it makes a difference.

JD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to add there was originally a 12-2 run but it got dug up with an excavator. The original was 12-2 UF, NOT in conduit and was only 6" deep...so anything I do I think will be an improvement for sure and also a lesson for those that question the depth of "bare" wire. My understanding that condition requires 24" depth.

·
Super Moderator
22,779 Posts
I would like to run two 12-2 UF wires, each on an individual gfci 20 amp breaker at the panel. One wire to be used for lighting and other light duty stuff, the 2nd for receptacles.
Not good. You are only permitted to run one circuit to a detached garage. If you ran a 12/3 multi wire branch circuit(MWBC) that would be fine. A MWBC use two hots and one shared neutral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like you want to bury EMT? not a good idea... use PVC
Thanks guys. Joed it sounds like that rule is pretty cut and dry.

KPD I have seen thy our answer highly contested and it sounds like it is not cut and dry. Is it against code or just from bad experience? I did contemplate pvc however the ground is very hard and 13" is about the best sledding for me to manually dig it...that's why I was going with the metal. I already dug 20' at around 13"+.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,696 Posts
You can run a 12/3 20 amp, MWBC at 12" in PVC if fed by a 20 amp 2 pole GFCI breaker.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mark_kershner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can run a 12/3 20 amp, MWBC at 12" in PVC if fed by a 20 amp 2 pole GFCI breaker.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk
Thanks RJ. Do any of you guys agree with not using EMT?

So far for sure it seems like I can only run a single 12-2 (since that is what I have) and I need to use gfci breaker. What conduit to use at 12" if EMT is not proper? I assume I can go with 3/4" if only 1 feeder allowed.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts

So far for sure it seems like I can only run a single 12-2 (since that is what I have) and I need to use gfci breaker. What conduit to use at 12" if EMT is not proper? I assume I can go with 3/4" if only 1 feeder allowed.
I wouldn't use any conduit except where you come out of the ground. UF will not be easy to pull into conduit.

Reactions: mark_kershner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I wouldn't use any conduit except where you come out of the ground. UF will not be easy to pull into conduit.
Thanks jb. I believe code requires me to go 24" to avoid conduit.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
I did contemplate pvc however the ground is very hard and 13" is about the best sledding for me to manually dig it...that's why I was going with the metal. I already dug 20' at around 13"+.
EMT will not help you in this situation. Only RMC or IMC permit a shallower burial depth. EMT will generally need to be covered by at least 18", same as any PVC conduit.

Hard ground isn't an acceptable reason for a depth variance. Only solid rock can be used for that. So your choices are:

1. Keep digging to 18" and use PVC (or EMT if you really wish that).
2. Use RMC or IMC at 6" depth.
3. Use a single 20 Amp GFCI protected circuit at 12" either direct buried or in PVC or EMT.
4. Use PVC (or EMT) at 12" minimum and cover with 2" of concrete.

What conduit to use at 12" if EMT is not proper? I assume I can go with 3/4" if only 1 feeder allowed.
Rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit. Both are expensive and are installed much like steel water pipe. If you're set on only installing the single 12/2 UF cable it hardly seems worth the effort and expense of using either, unless you upsize the conduit substantially for a future upgrade.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks guys. Joed it sounds like that rule is pretty cut and dry.

KPD I have seen thy our answer highly contested and it sounds like it is not cut and dry. Is it against code or just from bad experience? I did contemplate pvc however the ground is very hard and 13" is about the best sledding for me to manually dig it...that's why I was going with the metal. I already dug 20' at around 13"+.
EMT will corrode, fast. at best if you need metal, you can get away with OCAL, or some other PVC Coated Rigid conduit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts