DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run power to my garden shed and have become confused while exploring options. I'd prefer to do this to code, and after running some ideas found in the family Handyman magazine past an electrician here (Canada) I was advised that the magazine was not to Canadian code. The article suggested running RMC 6" underground was legal. The electrician I spoke to said 18" minimum and only PVC was permitted.

So the basic idea of what I'd like to do is:

Dedicated circuit 30A or 40A to shed (approx 30ft)

PVC conduit from house, along fence, to shed.

Supply 240v electric heater and have one or two GFCI 120V circuits for tools

3-way porch light on the shed that can be switched on from house.
- Can this be branched from an existing house circuit? (insinkerator circuit from under kitchen sink for example - this is the closest exit point from house to fence, to shed.
- can the 12/3 be in the same PVC conduit as that supplying the sub panel?

I only have 5 spots left on my home panel and am wondering if this is all possible, and looking for feedback or suggestions.

Thanks and cheers!

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
It is recommended to power the 3 way light circuit from the shed subpanel and run the extra wires for the main house switch back from there. The switch wires can share the conduit with the feed wires.

Will take two slots of your breaker panel.

With a heater out there I suggest the 40 amp 120/240 volt feed (four 8 gauge wires in red, black, white, green) or heavier. Many experts recommend 6 gauge or heavier feed wires (60 amp breakers) to a detached garage or shed that may be used as a workshop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AllanJ said:
It is recommended to power the 3 way light circuit from the shed subpanel and run the extra wires for the main house switch back from there. The switch wires can share the conduit with the feed wires.

Will take two slots of your breaker panel.

With a heater out there I suggest the 40 amp 120/240 volt feed (four 8 gauge wires in red, black, white, green) or heavier. Many experts recommend 6 gauge or heavier feed wires (60 amp breakers) to a detached garage or shed that may be used as a workshop.
Home Depot electrician recommended only 8/3 NMWU Black for underground portion in 1-1/4" PVC conduit. I asked if I could use loose wire but doesn't sound like it.

So 8/4 plus ground is best for 40A?

·
Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Someone more familiar with the CEC should be stopping by. In the meantime, it would be helpful if you updated your profile to include your location. The rules differ between areas and countries.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,475 Posts
Home Depot electrician
Now that is an oxymoron:)

You most certainly can use individual conductors in PVC conduit.

THWN rated insulation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts