DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a light switch to the outside of an enclosed refrigerator panel.

Something like this:

I'm assuming they make a shallow type electrical box. What type do I need? Should it be metal with metal flex conduit going to it? The box and wires wouldn't be exposed unless the refrigerator was pulled out.

·
Electrician
39 Posts
For this situation I usually use a 1 1/2" deep metal cut in box, and sleeve the cables in 1/2" flexible metal conduit, strapped tight to the back of the panel. You may have to notch the back of the panel to make the FMC connector fit into the box.

Most of my work is permitted, and the inspectors want to see any non metallic cables sleeved and strapped or covered inside any cabinets or where they may come in contact with any movable parts or appliances.

The code reads that non metallic cables "shall be protected from physical damage" by "approved means". In my opinion, this language is intentionally vague, to give the inspector leeway to decide what is proper protection.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
IMO that is in no way "subject to physical damage", considering the fact that the refer is the only that will ever occupy that space, and it has no external moving parts other than the doors.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
I might use a piece of Panduit as a sleeve just so I would not need to use screws or staples in the finished panel. I could also run down the back wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.