DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I planned a while back to run a #10-3,and have 30A sub panel out at my shed.
I ran the indoor #10-3 in through the basement ceilling and out the back of the house to a jucktion box then finished the ceilling a while back. panel is at front of house, wire is coming out the back to go to shed. I am now running underground #10-3 from the juction box through pvc conduit to the shed.
my problem:
I now want to put a heater out there too. The 30 amp is not going to work i need an extra 20 amp. so i am running #12-2 NMWU from panel up an inter wall to attic,to back of house. out side in conduit to the same juction box. then both #10-3 and #12-2 through a 1 1/4" conduit.

The #10-3 will go to the 30A panel, the 12-2 will go direct to the wall heater.

Question
Can i put both wires in the same conduit or do i have to run in seperate conduits?
And if i do, how far apart do they have to be in the trench from each other?
I live in toronto, ontario. canada

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
Both can be run through the same conduit. Also put in a 2 pole switch in the shed for the electric baseboard disconnect.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Both can be run through the same conduit. Also put in a 2 pole switch in the shed for the electric baseboard disconnect.
Negative. You are only allowed one branch circuit or feeder per detached structure. See 225.30 (2005).

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
Busman is correct about 225.30. Some, I know have used 225.30 (E) Documented Switching Procedures, but that had to be approved by the AHJ.
To solve an issues refeed the panel with 8or 6 wire, than feed base board from subpanel.
Also what is hooked up in the shed now?
What kind of heater and size are you installing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way to rewire with #8 or #6 is to go up to the attic and out to back of house and then underground in the conduit, as my basement is all finished.
I was running the 12-2 due to the length is close to the 100 foot mark for using #10-2.
There is nothing hooked up to it now.
I was going to install a 2000w wall fan heater and insolate the shed.
Shed is 12x13x8

·
Registered
6 Posts
are these conductors jacketed? There's no problem with a 1-1/4 conduit to run those wires as per the CEC. Don't forget to factor in voltage drop.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,371 Posts
With your 10-3 to the sub panel, you have 30 amps at 240 available. The 2000 watt heater at 240 (hopefully) is only a little over 8 amps. That can be a 15 amp, 240 volt circuit on #14 AWG from the sub. What else do you have planned that the 30 amp total will not be enough?

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
If you are going to insulate the shed, a small plug in heater will probably do the trick, 750-1000 watt. But for any serious heater, find a way to bring a larger supply to the shed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts