DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Over the weekend I plan on running a 30 AMP 240V Inlet for a generator hook up to a transfer switch. The inlet is a remote style so its going to be mounted to the outside of my house. I have a 50 foot run or less between the inlet and the panel if I follow the framing.

Only the wall with the main and transfer switch are sheetrocked. Everything else, including where the Inlet comes in, will be unfinished.

I've read a ton of different articles and forums but can't seem to get a straight answer.

I'd really prefer to just run the wire along the studs and secure them with the proper clamps. This is a temporary run until the whole home generator is installed later this year. I hope to not use this run more than a few times between now and then. Either way- I want to follow NEC code.

I'm know I'm going to have to use conduit along the sheetrocked wall, but what about the unfinished portion. What wire can I, should I use, and can I run it up the studs and across the horizontal framing provided I don't cross an open span?

Also accepting recommendations on wire sizing. 10/3? 8/3? THWN or NM-B? etc..

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
15,352 Posts
10-3 would work for 30 amps.

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Its standard 12" on center wooden studs with extra wooden 2x4's around the garage door opening. The inlet would go in between the two garage doors where there is about 24" of space.

What are your thoughts on NM-B or THWN?

·
Super Moderator
22,444 Posts
Being a temporary run, have you considered putting the inlet right at the transfer switch and getting a 240 volt #10/4 extension cord. Keep the cord rolled up and stowed away until needed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have, and I just might do that. I suppose in the end the costs would probably be about the same wouldn't it? Between the conduit, the wire, the clamps, etc... And with the generator cord I avoid any code violations too I suppose.

Not a bad suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts