DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing a basement and I want to install an outlet in a wall that has 2x2 framework against the concrete block foundation wall. The plan I have is to make a notch in the vertical studs to run the 12-2 romex cable through and use a steel plate over the notches. The rest of the cable will be secured against the block with fasteners screwed into the block. The cable will be at least 1-1/4" from the top or bottom plate and when it runs vertically down to the outlet box. Is this a valid interretation of the NEC section 300.4(D) where it states that all cable must be 1-1/4" from any surface of a framework member or it must have portection?

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
Nail plate is needed but fastening to the concrete is not. You only need fasteners every 4 feet. The studs count as fasteners.

·
Master Electrician
332 Posts
the nail plate is only needed when the wire is drilled through the studs
They are required when the studs are notched, as the OP is planning to do. 300.4(A)(2)

·
Master Electrician
332 Posts
The rest of the cable will be secured against the block with fasteners screwed into the block. The cable will be at least 1-1/4" from the top or bottom plate and when it runs vertically down to the outlet box. Is this a valid interretation of the NEC section 300.4(D) where it states that all cable must be 1-1/4" from any surface of a framework member or it must have portection?
You can secure directly to the 2x2s, as long as you are 1¼" from any edge that screws or nails are likely to penetrate- i.e., the face of the stud.

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
Okay.. same thing. Except you should not notch the stud anyway. When going perpendicular to a framing member and less then 1 1/4" from the finishing edge of that member a nail plate is to be used.

·
Master Electrician
332 Posts
Okay.. same thing. Except you should not notch the stud anyway. When going perpendicular to a framing member and less then 1 1/4" from the finishing edge of that member a nail plate is to be used.

Why not? That's almost certainly not a load bearing wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts