DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the need to get DC power for a wireless Samsung IP camera. Please understand I am by no means an electrician and am just looking for advice.

Existing today is a old bullet camera that has coax with 18 guage twisted pair wire that provides the power needed for the old camera. The coax/twisted is hidden and I have no access to replace this wire. The coax/twisted pair terminates downstairs near the breaker box. I have two solutions that I am considering.....

1. - Run 110 along the 18 guage wire and hardwire the AC-DC converter at the camera location. To me this doesn't sound 'safe'....although christmas tree lights are probably 22 gauge and they run 110. I would not create an outlet at the camera - this would be completely hardwired - so there would be no chance to plugging in a toaster and frying the wire!!! I assume I could install a dedicated 5 amp breaker at the breaker box for this if needed?

2. Safest method - Transform AC-DC at the termination point near the breaker and push DC approx 150 feet? (just a guess....I honestly I don't know how this wire snakes through the house to the existing camera location). This seems to be the safest method but I am concerned about loss of voltage/power which would eliminate this option as viable.

FYI the camera draws a maximum of 6.7 watts and is a Samsung SNH-V6430BN.

Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not an electrician here. Siamese RG 59 cable consists of regular rg 59 coax plus twisted pair of 18 guage wire. So your setup is standard except maybe the 18 guage is separate cable. Power supply is typically injected into the line far away from the camera (e.g., near your DVR). Although I am sure there are limits, within a house there should be no problems in your situation injecting standard dc camera power.

If you do rewire, then wire for the future and use cat5e. Cheap balums are added at each end. That way your setup for using ip cameras down the road. Google search on "wire once zoneminder anotherbrian" to see my post on the subject.

The alternative for using ip cameras down the road, is to use more expensive adapters at the end of the siamese cables that inject the ethernet signal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry did not read your original post well.

for ip camera, standard route to go if you rewrie is to use poe (power over eithernet) switch. The cabling is typically standard cat5e between the camera and the poe switch. The poe switch injects power into line and also routes the ethernet packets too. The poe switch and camera will be compliant to applicable standards. A typical configuration is as follows:

++poe switch --- router --- ISP provider
||
|+-----camera
|
+---- DVR

That way all the IP traffic from the camera to the DVR stays off your router. Presumably your router is configured to have a pinhole that allows incoming web server traffic to your dvr. Then you can view your camera images from your smart phone, laptop, or wherever you are on the internet.

an 8 port poe switch (brand cisco) can be had for about $25 used on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
21,078 Posts
You didn't say the voltage but if it is 12 volts DC then 6.7 watts is only .5 amps.

At 100 feet that would be a voltage would drop from 12 to 11.36. If you started with a 12.75 volts then the drop would be to 12.11.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts