DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm ready to change my run cap on my Rheem RAMA-048. The information on the existing cap is partially there but what I really need is no longer legible (uf/mfd). I was able to locate a factory replacement parts PDF and found some part numbers which aren't completely useful. It shows two part numbers based upon compressor model (which is not on the Rheem sticker) and from what I understand they are not the same ratings.

43-23204-10 I think is rated at 40/5
43-26261-19 I think is rated at 60/5

The existing cap is a replacement and of course none of the "replacement" caps I see look like the old part. I know a pro isn't sweating this but I do electronics repairs/mods and you can't mess around (usually) with the ratings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Get the 60/5... it won't hurt to oversize the capacitor (better than undersizing) if it happens that your original was a 40/5. The 5 mfd. is for the fan so no difference there.

I would check the physical size to have a better idea of what it had previously. The 60 mfd will be quite a bit larger and may not fit the space allowed. Use your own judgment if there is no other info available.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to put an oversized capacitor as it can affect motor operating characteristics - phase shift, current, etc.

Check the compressor itself, it may have required capacitance on it -> if it doesn't you can look up the model number.

A lot of older rheems have the compressor easily accessible.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Checking your model number shows the compressor/fan capacitor is part number 43-23204-10 and the value is 40/5 @ 440 VAC.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Get the 60/5... it won't hurt to oversize the capacitor (better than undersizing) if it happens that your original was a 40/5. The 5 mfd. is for the fan so no difference there.

I would check the physical size to have a better idea of what it had previously. The 60 mfd will be quite a bit larger and may not fit the space allowed. Use your own judgment if there is no other info available.
This is bad advice. It is ok to oversize the voltage rating, but not the microfareds. If this were a start capacitor it might be OK to oversize it a little bit since they are only in the circuit for a fraction of a second, but a run capacitor really should have the correct rating.

Also, the physical size has nothing to do with anything. A 60 mfd is not necessarily any larger than a 40 would be. Often times replacement capacitors are physically smaller than the ones they replace, no matter what the mfd rating is.

In the future, please try to refrain from giving advice on things you don't know anything about. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts