DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running two 14/2 and one 12/2 cable. About 8 feet of it will be on the underside of joists. i have an old 8' piece of molding - can I use that as a running board? How do i attach the wires to it? Can I zip tie them to the bottom or side of it?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Zip ties are fine, according to my inspector, or you can wrap with black tape and staple the underside to keep it from unwrapping with time and dryness.

Staple where you can, wrap the rest.

DM

Attachments

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Don't see why not, I like to secure every 12" or so, in case I or anyone ever needs to traffic the area, the wires will not snag anything.

DM

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I would not have used running boards in your situation. I only use running boards when I am under the joist, not on top.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not have used running boards in your situation. I only use running boards when I am under the joist, not on top.
I will be running them under the joists (I assuming you were talking to DM).

Where in the NEC does it describe the use of running boards? I'd like to see what it has to say specifically just to fill my curiosity.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
LOL My pic is showing my RAFTER joists, not floor.....
it'd be kinda hard to put up my 5/8" Fire-X drywall had I put them on the underside!

DM

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I will be running them under the joists (I assuming you were talking to DM).

Where in the NEC does it describe the use of running boards? I'd like to see what it has to say specifically just to fill my curiosity.
Section 334.15(C)(A) NEC 2008
"Mike Holts Illustrated Guide to Changes to The NEC 2008" has some great pictures. I was lucky to have Chris Kennedy give me a copy. Real good guy. Check figure 334-1. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts