DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roughing In New Bathroom

529 Views 22 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  freegem
I'm currently framing the walls for a new bathroom. I've attached a drawing of the layout.

My shower/tub combo is 60" long and gets installed directly on the studs with no drywall, so the rough opening is exactly 60".

My double vanity is also 60" long and it will go on the opposite wall, but doesn't a vanity normally go in after drywall? So the opening for the vanity would end up being more like 59" after drywall is installed on both ends.

Here's the vanity I was planning to install: Wyndham Collection Beckett 60 in. W x 22 in. D x 35 in. H Double Sink Bathroom Vanity in Green with White Cultured Marble Top WCG242460DGDWCUNSMXX - The Home Depot

So I have three options as far as I can tell:

1. Install the vanity directly to the studs since that would be a 60" opening

2. Find a 59" vanity that can fit the opening after drywall is installed

3. Make the bathroom 61" so the vanity will fit. But will this cause problems fitting the shower/tub?

It's possible that I'm just way overthinking this, but I don't want to build the final walls of the bathroom and then have to tear them down or change my plans because things don't fit.

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Slope
Reactions: NJMoraContractor
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Naildriver
23,266 Posts
I'd build the walls 61", apply sheetrock over it all and install the shower walls to the sheetrock. That way the vanity will fit in the 60" opening. NOW, your countertop is 61" long, so it will either need trimming or you will need to have it custom built.

· Naildriver
23,266 Posts

· Registered
7,708 Posts
I would hinge the door the other way so it would be easier to use.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would hinge the door the other way so it would be easier to use.
I see your point. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I'd build the walls 61", apply sheetrock over it all and install the shower walls to the sheetrock. That way the vanity will fit in the 60" opening. NOW, your countertop is 61" long, so it will either need trimming or you will need to have it custom built.
I just noticed on the product page for my vanity that the cabinet is 59 inches and the counter top is 60 inches. So it seems like doing a 61 inch rough opening and then adding drywall should work perfect to fit both the tub and the vanity.

· Naildriver
23,266 Posts
IF you removed the door and did a 180, it would open into the hallway and back toward the wall with the vanity. Out of the way for sure, hopefully.

· Registered
7,708 Posts
Were you meaning you would have the door open toward the vanity instead of toward the bath tub? Or were you meaning you would have the door open out away from the bathroom?
I would keep the door inswinging but hinged the other way. The way it is you have to reach into the corner by the vanity to grab the doorknob, then step out of the way of the door swing. I try to never put a door knob on a corner side without about 18” of wall beyond the door for space to open the door. If a user eventually has to use a cane or walker, you will like having the space to operate the door. Moving the door over 18” from the vanity would help but not as much as reversing the swing.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Imo, the door swing you have drawn is perfect. You might want to move the door about one foot to the left so your approach to the door knob has more space. (For example, try your spacing out on a prototype. I think you will see your approach is too close.)

· Registered
Bathroom remodel
3 Posts
Make sure the tub fits well in that space and it is aligned with the drain, drill the sides of the tub into the studs, making sure you do not crack the tub. Then cover these screws with a dab of waterproof silicone. Hang cement back board on walls and ceiling. Leave a small gap above the edge of the tub, tape will be used to cover the gap first, then cement, then waterproofing.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I built the opening 61" so that my 60" vanity would fit after drywall is installed. I was thinking I could also use drywall (or cement board or whatever) to reduce that 61" gap so that the tub would fit. So right now I have a 61" opening and a 60" tub. I'm trying to figure out if there's still a way to install the tub in this scenario.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts