DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Handyman
806 Posts
:thumbup: @jrclen

A few years back someones broke into my shop and stole all of my PCs, 2 phone systems, printers..Everything. What was amazing was that every cord was cut yet no breakers were thrown!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It is so common here that we put a clause in our contracts which make security the owners responsibility. Once it's installed, it belongs to them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
:thumbup: @jrclen

A few years back someones broke into my shop and stole all of my PCs, 2 phone systems, printers..Everything. What was amazing was that every cord was cut yet no breakers were thrown!
They cut the power cords to the equiptment??? Why wouldn't they just unplug?!?!?!? I guess criminals really are dumb!

One of the local electrical inspectors had his office broken into a few months ago. They even stole the portable hard drives he backs up everything onto!

Now, he backs it up on a secure server online AND takes the hard drives home with him each day.

·
Master Electrician
332 Posts
Ok, so I was like near ready for an inspection and all I had left to pull was a few switch legs in the basement and when I walked into the house I noticed that ALL MY FRIGGIN' WIRES WAS CUT AT THE BOXES AND ALL MY HOMERUN WIRES WAS GONE! GONE GONE GONE!!!!!! Some lil' :censored: :censored::censored: had stole all the wire! The only thing that was left was all the high voltage wire like 8-3 and 10-2 but everything else was GONE!!!! I was and am so pissed as I never had this happen before. Is there anyone else that has had this happen? Can someone share the pain? Also, what could I do for in the future to make it harder for someone to do this. Any ideas would be great please.

We have had this happen several times. Call the police, and file a report. The builders insurance will pay - or not. My boss doesn't care, he just charges a 2nd time to wire the house a 2nd time.
I believe that in many places, once wiring or equipment is installed, it becomes the owners property.
If we can't remove stuff for non-payment, we can sure charge twice for situations like this.

·
me
989 Posts
Thats right! And my signiture is:
During the day, on my side it will stay
I go to bed, with it under my head
Always in reach, with one in the breech
Thats the way, It'll always stay!
Let me guess, you're not voting for Hillary? :laughing: :laughing:

·
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
7,556 Posts
Thats right! And my signiture is:
During the day, on my side it will stay
I go to bed, with it under my head
Always in reach, with one in the breech
Thats the way, It'll always stay!
I know My Firearms (not that I have an HK USP45)....

·
remodeling pro
1,399 Posts
With the price of scrap copper, both plumbing and electrical are in peril on every job now. Same problem as the illegal immigration IMO, politicians only want to hit the tail of the snake instead of cutting off it's head. Deporting a few illegals or arresting a few druggies for selling stolen scrap won't do anything, you have to cut off the head....put the dealers out of business, or the companies who thrive on the illegal immigrant workers.

It has not happened yet on any of my jobs, but both my electrician and plumber have been hit.

·
me
989 Posts
Scrap dealers around me are collecting license plate numbers now. And on anything fishy they write down ID info on who ever brings the stuff in. I heard they called the cops on one guy who showed up with 4 spools of brand new NM still in the boxes, wanting to sell it for scrap. These were 1000 ft spools.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Scrap dealers around me are collecting license plate numbers now. And on anything fishy they write down ID info on who ever brings the stuff in. I heard they called the cops on one guy who showed up with 4 spools of brand new NM still in the boxes, wanting to sell it for scrap. These were 1000 ft spools.
It is guys like this that are officially "dumb criminals". Now that I think of it, most are dumb. Only a few are actually smart (enough to not get caught).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts