DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a concrete bar top. Top looks great I used melamine. Sides, not so much. Used lumber and it was a mistake. I rub it and it just dusts and flakes. What should I do? I want it to be smooth and not flaking.
Water Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Grey

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Never done it, but i have some ideas. Obviously should have used melamime. Did you oil the sides of the form? How long did you wait before trying to smooth it? I think if you wait a week or two you can use diamond pads to polish it smooth, but you will expose the aggregate.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Never done it, but i have some ideas. Obviously should have used melamime. Did you oil the sides of the form? How long did you wait before trying to smooth it? I think if you wait a week or two you can use diamond pads to polish it smooth, but you will expose the aggregate.
There are two ways to make it smooth.
1 use portland cement & a very fine sand mesh / sieve size 18 to 25 mix 1:1 & brush on the edge moisture cure & sand smooth after 72 hours.
2 use a synthetic base mix like STO Corp BTSB mix & brush on sand smooth no sand required with this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use the system ClarenceBauer explained and add cover the top to side joint with a nice aluminum extrusion for nice finished look Otherwise that top edge will always be flaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts