DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to keep the rough cedar trim I'm going to install natural except I want to waterproof it permanently. I was told to use some deck stuff. I don't want to have to redo this every year ! I asked about using polyurethane but was told the wood aroud windows needs to breathe. Is this true ? What can I do ?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
You could use a transparent/clear sealing product for cedar, redwood, etc. but as has been discussed recently in these forums you would be better off with a semi-transparent stain to blend the color and provide better UV protection. The quality of material you get, sun exposure and weather conditions, etc. will be the determining factors in how often you are going to need to apply.

The natural oils in the cedar will make it difficult to get much life out of polyurethane over the top. You should also avoid products with wax in them such as Thompson's.

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, is it interior or exterior? exterior, i would use a clear, transparent oil stain to seal it and waterproof it. you'll have to redo it every couple of years (in worst case scenerios) I would recommend Sansin classic stain. their natural is just a clear. Good product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another cedar question

Before I knew not to use a product like Thompson's I already did on some cedar posts on my porch. Should I use a deck wash product on them and maybe sand them then go back with the uv stain ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts