DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Eaton 200A main lugs panel outdoor panel to be fed as the service entrance from the bottom with a subpanel feed out the top feed thru lugs. Eaton states in their lit that: "a standard panel can be rotated 180 degrees to allow straight-in wiring of power cables to the main terminals."

It looks like (see pic) you unscrew and rotate the bus inside, and keep the weather hub on top. Is that correct?
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
No.
They are telling you that it is ok to mount the entire panel "upside down". (Hub opening and main breaker down)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I bought an Eaton 200A main lugs panel outdoor panel to be fed as the service entrance from the bottom with a subpanel feed out the top feed thru lugs. Eaton states in their lit that: "a standard panel can be rotated 180 degrees to allow straight-in wiring of power cables to the main terminals."

It looks like (see pic) you unscrew and rotate the bus inside, and keep the weather hub on top. Is that correct?
thanks
Rotate the guts, not the box. That enclosure can only be mounted with the hub on top. Its a weather resistant enclosure.
You cannot put the bottom KO's on top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I agree that the knockouts should not be on top because water could leak in that way. I don't understand why they suggest rotating the panel. I couldn't find any better instructions anywhere on the web. A little disappointed in Eaton.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Have had to reverse panels like these so I could keep it clean by having my feed from the bottom and sub feed out the top to weather head feeding a building.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Reactions: J. V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correction

I need to update this thread.

I started to wire the panel by reversing the guts as stated above. Because I am a DIY guy I got nervous about it. I managed to get an Eaton rep on the phone and asked him about it. He said you can't do that because it was never UL approved for that type installation.

So I rotated the guts back to the original orientation and fed the cables around the sides as shown in the pic. A lot more cable bending and cussing, but now I am UL approved.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I see a 3 wire feed going out of the top of the panel feeding the sub. This ius wrong as you will have the neutral and ground bonded in the sub. You need a 4 wire feed to the sub with a separate isolated neutral and ground bar.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for checking. Both sub panel feeds are 4 wire. One on the left side, and one out the top. The braided bare aluminum cable is the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts