My friend's Roper electric oven range just died last week, I am trying to fix it for him.
He bought the oven brand new from Lowe's barely six months ago, he didn't buy the extended warranty form the store and the manufacturer's giving him the runaround. Long story short, he's not going to get any help from them, and right now, I am his help.
Roper free standing electric range
Voltage: 120-208, 60HZ
absolutely no heat from all 4 surface burners and oven.
I have two screw drivers and a digital multimeter, I also have the wiring diagram (unfortunately can't find it on internet).
I've spent a day taking the oven apart, exposing the wiring, disconnecting the infinite switches and taking measurements, so far I am at wit's end.
So I am hoping the more experienced member here can help me out.
I will just asking some questions if someone can clarify it for me, I'd be grateful.
1) Power source
The power socket on the wall is a 3-wire, reverse Y shape receptacle, the 3 power supply wires end up on the back of the oven as Red, Black, White lines.
My understanding is the white line is the ground, and the red and black lines are power lines.
My multimeter AC voltage reading between the lines are:
The label on oven says power source should be 120v-208v. So my 1st question is, does my power source sound right? or is it possible one of the "phase" has fused out?
2) there are 4 surface burner elements, one big one and three small ones. The three small ones all look decent and have no visible damage, their ohm reading all check out around 46 ohm, I've no reason to believe all of them are malfunctioning at the same time.
3) neither do I believe all 4 infinite switches are malfunctioning at the same time.
4) I disconnect the wires for oven, oven indicator, surface indicator, and 3 infinite switches, leaving only one switch connected.
If I take the burner element out and check the voltage between the contact points, it's 107v, as expected, same as the voltage between red and black wire.
But if I plug in the surface element, the voltage between red-black drops to 0, indicating a short circuit. Red-white: 120v, black-white, also 120v.
change to a different infinite switch, and different burner element, same story.
This is what really puzzles me: turn off the switch or take the element out, the voltage appear to be normal 107v; but once put the burner element in, we have a short circuit between red-black.
Also like I said earlier, I don't believe the burner elements are the problem because their ohm number checked out, and it's barely 6 month old, can't be all bad at the same time.
so what could be the problem? thanks !