DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok embarrassing, yes. But I am a college student who is inexperienced in construction.

I'm trying to build a make-shift sound-booth. I've got foam boards, and insulation.

I'm going to use the foam boards to "sandwich" the insulation, such that the insulation goes between the foam boards.

I want to secure the sandwich. I bought rope but realized that knots and rope don't really keep the insulation inside the sandwich.

I want to use a belt that can tighten and secure the sandwich. But I don't know where to buy one.

I'm looking for inexpensive materials... like a hook that tightens attached to a rope, or something like that. Basically something you can "pull tight" and secure.

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
14,479 Posts
Ok embarrassing, yes. But I am a college student who is inexperienced in construction.

I'm trying to build a make-shift sound-booth. I've got foam boards, and insulation.

I'm going to use the foam boards to "sandwich" the insulation, such that the insulation goes between the foam boards.

I want to secure the sandwich. I bought rope but realized that knots and rope don't really keep the insulation inside the sandwich.

I want to use a belt that can tighten and secure the sandwich. But I don't know where to buy one.

I'm looking for inexpensive materials... like a hook that tightens attached to a rope, or something like that. Basically something you can "pull tight" and secure.

Thanks for your help!
How about something like this.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds like strapping it together is going to crush the insulation in the middle. I'm assuming it's fiberglass batts...

They make nuts/bolts that have flanges on both sides. The nut is actually a hollow tube that has threading on the inside and a flange to catch the material. Kind of like the attachments for chair seats. Cheap and effective.

Remember that sounds is a vibratory type of wave and to most effectively stop it is to put thick, dense materials in its path.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually! crushing the insulation isn't an issue :D. I'm not using fiberglass because it's dangerous to the health and it's also probably expensive.

I scouraged around craigslist and took rubber mats that people were giving away for free or for a low price. So there's rubber mats in between two foamboads, and also a corkboard in between the rubber mats.

So strapping the sandwich together won't hurt the sound-proof properties (hopefully)!

·
Super Moderator
14,479 Posts

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
For each fastening point, 2 pcs of 4" x 4" 1/2" plywood with 2 holes drilled into them at same centers, 2 heavy duty long zip ties. Lay your sandwich out put plywood on each side drll through push zip ties through plywood and sandwich, tighten zip ties.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
14,479 Posts
For each fastening point, 2 pcs of 4" x 4" 1/2" plywood with 2 holes drilled into them at same centers, 2 heavy duty long zip ties. Lay your sandwich out put plywood on each side drll through push zip ties through plywood and sandwich, tighten zip ties.

Mark
That is a good idea, and Harbor Freight has the zip ties also. The ratchet straps are usually 4 or 5 to a pack, if you wish to go that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I think I will go with jiju's ratchet straps. I would like to avoid drilling through the sandwich, since it would pretty much allow for sound to pass through the drill holes.

The ratchet straps are 4 for 9 dollars. I figure it would take two ratchet straps to secure one sandwich.

I also found these http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Home depot sells those clamps for 99 cents each. It might take four of those clamps to secure one sandwich

I will try both, since they come out to be almost the same price

Thanks everyone again!

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
The rachets will create pressure from edge to edge crushing the foam boards into a tube. Duct tape would be equally effective and not exert the crushing force. You need something to go through the foam exerting pressure side to side to clamp it into a flat sandwich.

If the cork is thick enough or has a wood backer then screws with large washers from each side would be my choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts