DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RFN-4A-LVN
981 Posts
I live in a semi...my neighbor does not want to roof. How do I do my side?
I have roofed numerous condo's and duplexes where the adjoining neighbor has no plans for a re roof.

Obviously It MUST be a tear off.

Its really easy if the material is a 3-tab shingle but it is possible for an architectural too.

Basically your half is replaced.Normal tear off routine is used EXCEPT at the transition point meeting the neighbors roof.I recommend a L bar/pry bar/wonder bar/nail bar.(The same tool,,but different name descriptions)

The reason for the use of a L bar/pry bar/wonder bar/nail bar is careful removal of the shingles where the neighbors roof meets yours,taking care as to not damage the other neighbors roof area.

I would really recommend no foot traffic on the neighbors roof.Depending on your relationship with the neighbor,I recommend if possible,safety wise both you and your neighbor to walk (his or hers) side of the roof.

I would document (written,pictures)any and all damage to any part of the roof on the neighbors side.Have the neighbor sign a letter of acknowledgment showing that they are aware of existing damage.

Doing that will ensure that you or your roofing contractor won't be blamed or accused for damage that was preexisting.

Believe it or not it has been done.

·
Toronto Roofing Company
2 Posts
Online Roofing Business

make sure they did not make their roof. put some option to convince then also they will not agreed.
Then It is not so difficult to make only your roof.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I recommend if possible,safety wise both you and your neighbor to walk (his or hers) side of the roof.

I would document (written,pictures)any and all damage to any part of the roof on the neighbors side.Have the neighbor sign a letter of acknowledgment showing that they are aware of existing damage.

Doing that will ensure that you or your roofing contractor won't be blamed or accused for damage that was preexisting. Believe it or not it has been done.
VERY sound advice!

DM

·
RFN-4A-LVN
981 Posts
make sure they did not make their roof. put some option to convince then also they will not agreed.
Then It is not so difficult to make only your roof.
Sorry I mean not to be strange or difficult but,,,,What???????,,,,,,,,I don't get it.:eek:

If anyone can understand the post,,,please explain it to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts