DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Patio roof will have a 2.5:12 pitch due to the location of the window on an existing wall. So I can't put a shingle roof (Voids warranty if the pitch is less than 3:12). The other option being a metal roof. But I read that metal roof makes lots of noise during rain.

I am looking for any suggestions on what is the best roofing material that i can use

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Even some metal roofs aren't recommended for use under a 3/12 because of the way that they lap together. Low slope metal is available but it's more money. I've never actually worked with it.
I'm not sure if the IKO iceguard (peel and stick) underneath a low slope shingle would work. You'd have to check with your building supply store.
P.S. - Isn't there a roofing forum?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would not recommend a metal roof as you still don't have enough pitch. I would also not try to lay shingles on it even with a peel and stick membrane. Where do you live? Those membranes will leak if you live in a colder climate. Install a piece of EPDM. You can order one big sheet without any seams and you will have no chance of leaks.

·
Not so new
968 Posts
seth....try www.fabral.com. This is the most cost effective standing seam metal roof I could find. Can be used on roof pitches down to 1:12.
With a low slope, its all in the flashing detail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts