DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a conversation with someone who said he had over 20 years experience as a roofer. He made 2 startling claims:
  1. Roofers pay the shingle manufacturer for the warranty for each client's roof (mentioning a $900 fee and/or some % based on s/f).
  2. That if I went to a local roofing materials supply house and asked to see the warranty for a major brand, I would get a different warranty than the one provided the public on the brand's website. Basically, he is claiming the company would not stand behind the online warranty.
Any truth to either of these?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
We should have some good input from the pros, but my understanding is the warranty on the shingles is only from the manufacturer. Roofer only warranties his own work. So if you make a claim, the roofer says its defective shingles and gives you the address of the shingle manufacturer, and the shingle manufacturer says its not their issue because the shingles were not installed to their specs.

Once I did have defective shingles. Their was a class action lawsuit. The original roofer (one of the biggest, oldest names in my city) didn't even return my call. Got about $500 back (small fraction of total job) -- I consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
No way is any installer paying for a warrenty.
Go on the shingle company's web site and find local installers that are certifided.
Even so called "life time" warrentyed shingles are pro rated and there going to be looking for
install errors.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you were being offered a non prorated, extended material warranty, there would be an additional cost to the roofer.
The manufacturer I sell has a flat fee up to a certain size, and then additional costs.

I believe all shingle manufacturers offer them at this point, though I'm not familiar with certain brands.
If you plan on staying in your home, or selling shortly I think they can be a good deal.

·
Pro Slate Roofer
1,622 Posts
We were supposed to pay into the Master/Elite thing. I do seem to recall an upcharge amount to gett he full warranty.
A key factor was to also add soffit and ridge venting, the company's felt, and storm shield, etc. I just couldn't see it.
My own obsrvations are this;
15 year shingles without a warranty lasted 17-23 years.
New 50 year warranted shingles look so bad after 15-20 years, many get torn off and replaced. They're still living up to warranty keeping water out, but curling, granule loss, and staining cause owners to replace them. Not a warranty issue.
All the manufacturers offer different colors, but here in Va. they all seem to go black after 10 years so everybody has the same color.
Just my observations and opinions.
I got away from shingles and only install copper or slate. No gimmicks needed. Vermonts are good for 70-110 years. Penn good for 60-ish, and Bucks could go 300 years. Any of those may have one split, they are rocks, and cause a leak, but I cover that for the first 5 years to make sure there are no install issues. After that, with soakers in hips and ridges, you're set for life.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Just my crusty opinion. The shingle warranty as printed on the package is worth its weight as toilet paper but only if you like it rough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Details please

If you were being offered a non prorated, extended material warranty, there would be an additional cost to the roofer.
The manufacturer I sell has a flat fee up to a certain size, and then additional costs.

I believe all shingle manufacturers offer them at this point, though I'm not familiar with certain brands.
If you plan on staying in your home, or selling shortly I think they can be a good deal.
I am having difficulty following this, so if you can lead me by the hand, it would be appreciated. Lets say I (the homeowner) give you the job and you use Acme shingles/materials. You would pay the local supply house the regular fee for the materials, right? Then when the job is done, I get the extended non-prorated Acme warranty and you have to then pay Acme this extra fee? Correct me if I have any part of this wrong.

And what is in this kind of deal for you?

I don't know that this matters, but my house is a 1500 sf ranch w 2 gables. I have gotten a few estimates and they are all in the same $7,500 ballpark. Are you saying that if I get an extended warranty, the roofer will pay this extra fee out-of-pocket?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes, we pay the manufacturer a fee based on size of the roof, in addition to the cost of the materials.
The manufacturers also require the use of their branded accessories.
If its being offered to you with no additional cost, then its simply part of the final price.
Some of the manufacturers will inspect the roof once its done before issuing the warranty.
What's in it for the roofer? In residential its mostly a sales tool, allows us to offer something extra for the customer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts