DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like some feedback from folks who have installed alternatives to soffit vents at the eaves of their roof. Specifically on homes that DO NOT have soffits where the roof ends at the outer wall and doesn't extend past it. What products have you used, and what are your thoughts on them (i.e. under shingle vents, fascia vents, any other alternatives)? Were you able to fix venting issues?

I will be replacing my roof with a metal roof in the near future and would like to tackle venting at the same time.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Extending rafter tails during a new roof install is possible.
I had 12" soffits but added 3.5" of new rigid foam board plus another 1/2" layer of sheathing. I did not want to lose my 12" overhang so I extended my rafter tails as I was installing my new shingles. A lot of work but being a retired contractor it was like playing in my own sand box and the results were perfect.

Here is an article that discusses one approach to extending, just skimmed it but one way.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/extend-rafters-105325.html

Note, the resulting small soffit underneath can follow the slope of the roof or be flat.

I'm also on cold country and know the challenges of ice dams and snow on the roof. The under shingle vent options concern me with snow and ice. Occasionally we get just ice, freezing rain, eeyack so any build up could feed water back under those shingle vents. No experience and never seen them used here in Maine.

Bud

Reactions: ekb

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I have torn off the fascia, installed 1" of continuous Cor-a-vent behind the fascia, (And a similarly sized 1" shim a few inches above it) before installing new fascia on top. Of course this builds the roof out and is usually best done in conjunction with a new roof.

They also make a product to go on top of the roof, but since I live in ice dam country, IMO that's not a good option here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the product you used @XSleeper?
https://www.cor-a-vent.com/s-400.cfm

Would you say that provided enough intake air - any issues?

I have torn off the fascia, installed 1" of continuous Cor-a-vent behind the fascia, (And a similarly sized 1" shim a few inches above it) before installing new fascia on top. Of course this builds the roof out and is usually best done in conjunction with a new roof.

They also make a product to go on top of the roof, but since I live in ice dam country, IMO that's not a good option here.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
Would you say that provided enough intake air - any issues?

No need to guess here. There are calculations to roof venting that will serve better. The calcs are relatively simple and readily available everywhere with some quick searches. But if you put up some pics with basic roof dimensions, there are several folks here that will assist with vent requirements.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The coravent has 10 sq in of free area per foot. And you will be using it on both sides of the roof, so that's 20 sq in of free area per foot. Most ridge vent has 18 sq in of free area per foot. Both used together would thus give you 38 sq in of free area per lineal foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts