DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up on my roof today and noticed that all the vents have these little grate/grills to keep the critters from coming in…but there’s one pipe that is open.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Flooring

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Tar Gas

1. Can I purchase a vent cap or some type of mesh to cover this up so critters don’t get inside? Or is it okay to leave opened?

2. Is it okay that the shingle is missing in the right side of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the low side, that is okay like that.
Thanks.

I got one of those gutter guards and a work clamp. Yeah, I noticed my neighbors don’t have them and my builder said they were for air pressure with the plumbing?

I guess you don’t need them? But part of me thinks it can’t hurt to cover? Wonder why they leave them open?

Any roofers have an idea?

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
That's a vent for your main plumbing stack.
It's fine the way it is.
The missing roofing isn't a problem, the flashing takes care of the sealing.
You do not need to screen it...unless you are worried about some animal falling into it.
Go on the roof and have someone flush a toilet when you are near the pipe.
You will know what it is for immediately.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a critter gets in, it will end up in either your septic tank or the sewer system. Nobody covers them where I live.
That's a vent for your main plumbing stack.
It's fine the way it is.
The missing roofing isn't a problem, the flashing takes care of the sealing.
You do not need to screen it...unless you are worried about some animal falling into it.
Go on the roof and have someone flush a toilet when you are near the pipe.
You will know what it is for immediately.
It would seem odd to have it covered. And if covered with something air tight it would no longer work.
Thanks for the insight. My only “fear” is something getting inside and blocking it (like a little critter). My vent doesn’t go vertical the entire way, there’s a horizontal section.

Wood Beam Hardwood Flooring Ceiling

I’m getting solar panels installed tomorrow and that area will be impossible to access with the solar array surrounding it. I was going to cover it with this so it still worked, but nothing could enter.

Rectangle Basket Flowerpot Font Serveware

But if that’s unnecessary I’ll leave it alone.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got tired of frogs coming up in the sink or toilet so I covered mine with screen a few years ago and that stopped. They were jumping out of the palm trees and would fall into the pipe.
I can’t imagine crawling thru a drain to find an exit

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got tired of frogs coming up in the sink or toilet so I covered mine with screen a few years ago and that stopped. They were jumping out of the palm trees and would fall into the pipe.
I can’t imagine crawling thru a drain to find an exit
Like the ring toss at an amusement park! Pretty good aim, well done little frogs.

Sounds like the making of a viral video.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts