DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current house has a hip roof. We are adding onto the north side, and the addition will have a gable roof (actually a "jerkinhead"?) with the peak running North-South. This will result in the old roof sloping into the new wall of the addition. What is the best way to make sure I don't have to worry about water damage where the water flows off the old roof into the new wall?

Building Window House Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If correctly flashed will not be a problem.
Should the flashing direct the water one direction or the other? Or should it have a "peak" in it so that half goes East, half goes West? I assume either could be accomplished, regardless of the E-W slope of the roof where it meets the wall?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Expensive but if you use copper flashing should last decades. I would guess I would make flashing at least 14" tall and 14" wide but others might suggest bigger.
Oops. I was addressing where new vertical meets existing house.
^^removed my comment about 'dead valley' because my project was not like OP project. I did not understand until pictures were added.^^

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Expensive but if you use copper flashing should last decades. I would guess I would make flashing at least 14" tall and 14" wide but others might suggest bigger.
Oops. I was addressing where new vertical meets existing house.
I did a dead valley about 8 years ago and it hasn't been a problem but I guess it could be someday. What about extra snow-ice shield in that area?
Will a scenario like this typically require more snow-ice shield? How it that accomplished? Located in western KS if that helps.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Here’s a photo of the house before the addition. The red line shows the part where the existing roof will all slope into a new vertical wall that goes above that roofline. View attachment 695450
oh i see what you mean now, your first pic is confusing,

that is going to be difficult to seal with flashing, unless you put the flashing underneath the shingles, almost like a metal valley

your roofing company should be able to tell you what to do

·
retired framer
61,717 Posts
Here’s a photo of the house before the addition. The red line shows the part where the existing roof will all slope into a new vertical wall that goes above that roofline. View attachment 695450
Can you draw the roof from above before and after?
Not sure but i think you have a valley set on the this roof with a gable against the addition.
Window Building Sky Fixture Wood

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My neighbor used to do roofing and I plan to have him do it. I just want to make sure it’s done
You've got the footprint of the addition correct. The rafter tails on the addition will end about 1' under the existing gutters on the left side of your drawing.

I was not planning to change the roof on the existing structure as you have drawn, even though that does seem like it would tie the two together better aesthetically.

Is that also the way to go to avoid moisture problems?

As usual, this process is costing much more than expected... any idea how much changing the roof as pictured might add?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts