DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,277 Posts
Believe it or not there's an app for that. Download it and put the edge of your phone agaisnt the bottom of the fascia board and there ya go. Google "roof pitch calculator".

Plenty of old school ways too that I'm sure will be posted soon.

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Go to the peak of the siding and measure vertically down several feet to the bottom of one of the horizontal pieces. Then measure horizontally along the bottom of that piece of siding to where it touches the soffit. Divide that first number by the second and you have the decimal version of your pitch.
Example 3 ft over 10 ft + 0.30. If you want that in the traditional X/12 reference just set 3/10 equal to X over 12. 3/10 = X/12. Solve for X and you have 10X = 36 or a slope of 3.33 on 12.

Bud

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
A 1 ft. level held up against the bottom edge of a siding board and measured up from the ends to the soffit will give you the inches inches differential / ft. or a 2 ft. level calculated will work , or a calculated 4 ft. level.

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
I measure near the low edge of the roof, assuming that the roof pitch is continuous. I have a 12 inch mark on both of my 18 and 24 inch levels. (I marked them) You could mark yours with a piece of tape if you don’t want a permanent mark.

Put the end up on the roof so the 12 inch mark is also over a shingle. Hold the level level. Measure down from the bottom of the level to the shingle, with the tape at 90 degrees to the level. 3 inches=3/12, 4 inches=4/12, etc

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
This maybe nothing but that number 12 should be on top of the image of the level. But why the need for pitch? In nj and I think 3:12 is allowed for shingle roofs. If measuring from outside, get a level line from the bottom edge of the facia with a string level and measure that to bottom of the ridge board in the attic. From outside you can deduct that from bottom of the shingles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This maybe nothing but that number 12 should be on top of the image of the level.
Yes, that's where the measurement is taken. The illustrator just placed dots to the number on the bottom (of the level), to avoid confusion with two red lines, i.e., the red lines indicating the measurement would just blend into one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.