DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How many times have you accidently fallen off a roof?

• I think maybe 1 time.. Not sure, can't remember

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 or more times. Explains why I only talk roofing and don't do roofing

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My back porch is a freaking mess:boat:. It just started with a drip and now with all this rain, there are like 50 drips going on. I ripped the ceiling apart so I could contain the water better and it helped, but I need to fix this problem and unfortunately hire someone. (My dad thinks I'll fall off the ladder or something and he's probably right if a bee lands on me or something:nuke:.)
How much do you think it would cost for repair for the 2x4 pieces of wood, shingles ect, & labor for an area around the size of 5' X 13'?? Any Ideas

I think it's going to rain today. I'd be lost without my shop vac!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pictures of the Ceiling Where it's Leaking

It's not pretty. But here it is.

The 1st picture just gives you a frame of reference of the size of the area from a distance.
2nd pic is the rotted wood that needs replacement. It's like this, but not as bad the full width of the porch.

Basically, my porch is a royal pain in my @$$

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not to mention that it appears there may be lead paint there. Make sure you use an EPA certified firm to work on any of that.

BTW, I have fallen from a roof and I am a pro. Broke my leg and crushed a vertebrae in my back. Luckily I was only 24 when it happened (now 32) and I healed very well. Took about 8 months of rehabilitation.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just read your intro. DIY'ers are exempt to the lead based paint rule, but landlords are not. Make sure you follow guidelines or get a pro so you aren't in a court room over this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to mention that it appears there may be lead paint there. Make sure you use an EPA certified firm to work on any of that.

BTW, I have fallen from a roof and I am a pro. Broke my leg and crushed a vertebrae in my back. Luckily I was only 24 when it happened (now 32) and I healed very well. Took about 8 months of rehabilitation.
OMG, you fell! That's why, I'd rather have someone else get up there. I will attempt almost anything myself, but no way am I confident enough to attack that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

All homes built prior to 1978 I think have lead paint in the house some where. As long as it's concealed/ painted over and not scrapping and sanding the stuff. The house is safe. Same goes with Asbestos. As long as you don't start tearing it apart; making the asbestos easy to inhale and harm you, it's fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got roof fixed... You'll never believe.......

the damage was from. TERMITES!!!! AHHHHHH Nasty things. Funny thing is that I never saw one ant on that porch. the guy that did the repairs said that the termites probably started the damage and the weather and more termites made the roof in the condition it was in.
Does anyone know how to prevent the termites around my house?
I have freaking carpenter bees that like to live inside the wood of my front porch railing. Filling the holes they make with caulk in the evening actually stopped them from nesting in the wood. But those mofos are freaking large and i'm outta there when they are flying around and tying to take over the porch. those bastards... I hope I dont encounter any more issues with things that crawl and eat wood... eeeeek :huh:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
i myself have been up on the roof quite a few times now since we had to replace the entire roof last year and we just got a vent installed and fortunately no falls yet. i did slip a little bit but it was only a skin scrape. my roof is not normal though. 50% flat 50% shingle

·
Registered
23 Posts
A good estimate on roofing starts around $300 per square of shingle. That does not include sheeting or 2x4 repair. A square of shingle covers roughly a 10 ft by 10 ft area. With the water already leaking into the wood, you're going to need to replace it. Wood is cheap, labor is not. If you have experience, save yourself some money and replace the wood supports and sheeting, then hire a roofer to lay the shingles and felt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If at all possible try to get up on the roof and at least tarp it off to prevent further leaking and damage until you can repair it. You didn't mention how high it was - is it a first story roof or second or third or forth... ?
If you are first or second story, maybe some staging from the local rent-all center would help. Ladders are not great to work off - or fall off...lol
While your roofing area is not too big, I'd say it would be the issue of replacing the under structure of it' that's rotted would be your concern. Tear off all your roofing material,shingles,felt, decking - and then you can see and access your structure rott. Could be significant enough that you might need to replace rafter/truss - and might need to be engineered. Not trying to scare you. It could be a significant issue. If the structure wood is ok, then just re-sheath it , flash, drip edge, and felt and shingle it......lots of work . But be comfortable on the roof - hence the staging recomendation.
Price, well, can't say without actually seeing it - or better photos that show more. I think it's a matter of seeing it in person and judging the severity of structure rot. Replacing just the shingle/felt is the easy part.
Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts