DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a home that has some soot damage on the top of the roof rafters. They are located in the old attic where a chimney reportedly used to run. I have attached the photos.

Wondering if some of you can give me a ballpark on replacing the damaged rafters and making this proper?

Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Tints and shades

Wood Composite material Beam Tints and shades Roof

·
retired framer
61,384 Posts
They look to be repaired already, usually we would see a special paint that would seal the smell of the fire but smells from the attic should not make it to the house.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Looks like they have already been repaired on. Do like Neal suggest. Other wise the only other fix IMO. is a new roof, rafters and all. And that adds up to a bunch of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming they are repaired and structurally sound... what do you reckon it would cost to replace the 3 beams which are covered in soot?

I will probably try sodablasting first. In case I sell the house in the future I don't want any soot to be present. So I'm curious how much it would cost to replace those 3 or so beams. Thanks.

·
retired framer
61,384 Posts
Assuming they are repaired and structurally sound... what do you reckon it would cost to replace the 3 beams which are covered in soot?

I will probably try sodablasting first. In case I sell the house in the future I don't want any soot to be present. So I'm curious how much it would cost to replace those 3 or so beams. Thanks.
After you remove the roofing and sheeting to expose them a few hundred but you are well into the 1000s for the roofing.
Repairs after a fire have fire insurance inspectors, city inspectors and some times engineers.
I would bet there is little to worry about here, if they needed changing they would have been changed before they replaced the roofing.

Reactions: MBozz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After you remove the roofing and sheeting to expose them a few hundred but you are well into the 1000s for the roofing.
Repairs after a fire have fire insurance inspectors, city inspectors and some times engineers.
I would bet there is little to worry about here, if they needed changing they would have been changed before they replaced the roofing.
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking the alternative to getting at them by removing the roof would be to remove the drywall in the room underneath, as that would also reveal any rafters that run into the room below. What do you think about this approach?

·
retired framer
61,384 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking the alternative to getting at them by removing the roof would be to remove the drywall in the room underneath, as that would also reveal any rafters that run into the room below. What do you think about this approach?
They go out over the exterior wall and include rafter tails, If you remove the black ones the roof sheeting would have to be nailed to the new rafter, you are still into roofing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts