DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a brick home, and the peak on the house is 8" wide tongue and groove planks. Built in 1949, i am pretty sure it is original and needs to be replaced. Is there a tongue and groove alternative? (Cement board, vinyl, etc. Haven't found anything like that at the local stores. I don't really want to use a T-111 type product. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, is vinyl ok to use for facia board? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
not going to find it I'm afraid in the big box stores. Check with a local lumber yard or local mill. There are places that can duplicate what ever you need, and I'm sure if the lumber yard don't have it that can point you in the right direction. I've had 1850 dragons reproduced for a Victorian home.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
not going to find it I'm afraid in the big box stores. Check with a local lumber yard or local mill. There are places that can duplicate what ever you need, and I'm sure if the lumber yard don't have it that can point you in the right direction. I've had 1850 dragons reproduced for a Victorian home.

Holy Crap, Thats a lot of Dragons, Gary! :laughing:

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a brick home, and the peak on the house is 8" wide tongue and groove planks. Built in 1949, i am pretty sure it is original and needs to be replaced. Is there a tongue and groove alternative? (Cement board, vinyl, etc. Haven't found anything like that at the local stores. I don't really want to use a T-111 type product. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, is vinyl ok to use for facia board? Thanks!!
Do you mean that the roof deck is 8 inch T&G? Is this vaulted construction? Can you post some pictures? If its just the deck you should be able to go right over it with plywood or OSB.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I think he is talking about the gable ends, above the brick line at the bottom of the roof.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
opppppssss ...... 1850's dragon thanks for the catch jagans!

that's how I took it also Willie

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I think he is talking about the gable ends, above the brick line at the bottom of the roof.
Oh the gable ends! Thanks Willie. Silly me. I'm thinking Pike Peak, or Antifreeze. I guess Im easy to fool.

I could not see the picture. Were you able to?

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I Think your best bet is to install a one foot wide Kynar coated Batten seam roof panel on your gable ends it will look good, and last for 50 years with no maintenence. Install ASTM D226 Type 2 felt on the end wall. Install PT horizontal furring 2 ft. OC. and install the metal panels. You can stick some insulation in between the furring too. You will need a Z metal broken up for you, and some other flashing, but you get the idea.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts