DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Solutions (handyman)
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client has a roof built over an old roof and the fascia is a combination of wood boards from the soffit up to the new roof. Height is about 26". They installed 8" metal fascia on the portion from the new roof down, leaving the bottom wood siding exposed. Now they want to redo the fascia because bugs, birds and bats are chipping away at the wood portion. My questions are: can a person get fascia that is 26" or wider? Does it stand up well, being that wide? What is another suggestion to cover the exposed area if the metal fascia can't cover the total area? Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Covering soffit and fascia?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
With a brake, you can bend aluminum sheet to match the old facia. Although I never tried multiple bends on a single sheet, I don't think one bend would interfere with making next bends. Test with a piece of paper and how the brake would work.
Since it's very wide facia, I think it would look better if just the old facia is covered and give more visual differences than a new single, very wide, drip edge.
You probably have to bend then paint it to match. Cheaper, thinner aluminum rolls are easier to bend. Keep the lengths to about 6' for easier handling. 3 predrilled holes slightly larger than the aluminum nails and caulk over the nails. Use dark caulk and immediately wipe away any trace of the caulk so the smear doesn't show up later.

·
retired framer
59,845 Posts
Short pieces bent on a break have to be put on shingle style so will look like crap from the ground. The cornices will have to be cut back or you can guarantee a leak there over time. That leak is never discovered in a timely matter.

I would advise them to find some one with a form rolling machine that could do continues length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.