DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the fuzzy picture, I took it from a window. We noted several yellow faint ceiling stains along a rafter, not wet at this time and not sure how long they have been there. This vent pipe sits about 10ft. up, yet in line with these stains. Roofer is coming on Tuesday to check things out. From what I can see, the rubber around the pipe is intact but everything I have researched indicates that the lower or skirt part of the flashing should be above the shingles, not under them. Could this be causing a leak. Thanks!

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,530 Posts
Do you have an attic space between ceiling and roof?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Someplace I read somebody suggesting that you can bleach out water stain in a ceiling and it can save you from having to repaint. I'm skeptical if that really works, but it could be cool if it does. I never tried it. Probably takes some strong bleach solution.
Maybe you can be a guinea pig on that one.

It does seem like the flashing around that pipe is wrong. That could be the problem and you would obviously still have to get that fixed.

·
retired framer
44,530 Posts
Someplace I read somebody suggesting that you can bleach out water stain in a ceiling and it can save you from having to repaint. I'm skeptical if that really works, but it could be cool if it does. I never tried it. Probably takes some strong bleach solution.
Maybe you can be a guinea pig on that one.

It does seem like the flashing around that pipe is wrong. That could be the problem and you would obviously still have to get that fixed.

it works 50/50 with water in a spritz bottle, I did it on popcorn ceiling.
Cover anything and everything with poly first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts