DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an “intersecting gable” roof (I think)
The main gable runs side to side and there is a front bump with gable on front of house.
Several roof rafters on the main section of the house come down and rest beside a ceiling joist. Not on top of it, it’s pretty much face nailed to it with no other support. There is a full wall with doorway under that ceiling joist, but downstairs it is open.
I have never seen any sort of load bearing area run parallel to the ceiling and floor joists before either, so maybe it isn’t technically a load bearing wall but from what I understand a lost roof rafters, it almost has to be. IS IT??????
Ask additional questions all you want, I know I probably butchered this question.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Can you post some pictures.

Bud

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first joist running across the ends of the rafters, an engineer might have you make that joist into a beam and hang the rafters of it.
That makes sense. I was going to just double that ceiling joist up and build the new wall under it so it also got under the tails of the roof rafter as well.

·
retired framer
38,990 Posts
That makes sense. I was going to just double that ceiling joist up and build the new wall under it so it also got under the tails of the roof rafter as well.
With out seeing more it is had to say. but it looks like there was a wall there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With out seeing more it is had to say. but it looks like there was a wall there.
Correct, that was a bed room wall. My confusion was about the fact that there was NO WALL underneath that downstairs.

·
retired framer
38,990 Posts
Correct, that was a bed room wall. My confusion was about the fact that there was NO WALL underneath that downstairs.
Can you or will you want to put the post back in?

Can you get in there for a look see at the beams, If the rafters are leaning on it is one thing but if they are sitting on it, that could be a falling hazard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you or will you want to put the post back in?

Can you get in there for a look see at the beams, If the rafters are leaning on it is one thing but if they are sitting on it, that could be a falling hazard.
I’m not sure what you mean about the post going back in.
The roof rafters are “leaning” on the SIDE of the joist, no rafters sit atop the joist. My theory was when we built the new wall there, I would make sure the top plate was under both the joist and the rafter. I am also going to install blocking to the next joist directly in back of the roof rafters.

·
retired framer
38,990 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean about the post going back in.
The roof rafters are “leaning” on the SIDE of the joist, no rafters sit atop the joist. My theory was when we built the new wall there, I would make sure the top plate was under both the joist and the rafter. I am also going to install blocking to the next joist directly in back of the roof rafters.
Scratch that, I was thinking of a different thread. Does not apply here, sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts